unknown frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
I was sitting in living room, listening to Newport News work a trap on the south side with my 396. I almost always have my Close Call running and today was no exception.

The CC kicked in showing 764.150. When I held on it for a bit, I heard a repeat of the VA State Police. As I wasn't running STARS, I couldn't tel if this was a STARS feed or if it was the old system.

I did a check of the VA State Police and I don't see this frequency. Anyone else heard anything on this frequency.

Just an extra note. I know I have at least two troopers living close to me, but neither close enough to activate CC that I am aware of.

Mick

The nearest allocated frq. is 764.14375, so maybe someone near you was testing. I could not locate an FCC license in VA either.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
LEH said:
I was sitting in living room, listening to Newport News work a trap on the south side with my 396. I almost always have my Close Call running and today was no exception.

The CC kicked in showing 764.150. When I held on it for a bit, I heard a repeat of the VA State Police. As I wasn't running STARS, I couldn't tel if this was a STARS feed or if it was the old system.

I did a check of the VA State Police and I don't see this frequency. Anyone else heard anything on this frequency.

Just an extra note. I know I have at least two troopers living close to me, but neither close enough to activate CC that I am aware of.

Could it be the 700MHz vehicle repeater listed at the bottom of the VSP RR DB page? Was it analog or digital?

tuttleje

When my wife's relative (a VSP trooper) was visiting last week, his car repeater was reading 764.1625 MHz on my 996T's close call....close enough to your 764.150. I'd say it was a car repeater close to you.

Last edited:

LEH

Premium Subscriber
That is what I was thinking too, vehicle repeater. But it was real close and stayed there for a bit. They came on more than once.

I really didn't look to see if the signal was digital or not.

Thanks guys.

W4UVV

Mobile Repeater

LEH said:

The correct frequency is 764.1562 mhz. and it is a VSP Division 1 mobile repeater frequency. Newport News is next to Williamsburg a Division 1 STARS site.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
W4UVV said:
The correct frequency is 764.1562 mhz. and it is a VSP Division 1 mobile repeater frequency. Newport News is next to Williamsburg a Division 1 STARS site.

Newport News is also next to and closer to the Hampton tower, a Div 5 STARS site than to Williamsburg. I can get about 85% on the Hampton tower at the house, but only about 10% on Williamsburg. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if Williamsburg isn't keyed to both Div 1 and 5 as it is right at the dividing line.

I do agree it was a vehicle repeater. But the 396 close call range isn't all that great and I don't live on a major road (about 3/4 of a mile from US 17). I wonder where they were sitting when they transmitted.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
W4UVV said:

I didn't see this list in the RR DB or the FCC DB. should this be submitted to the RR DB?

Last edited:

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
mike_s104 said:
I didn't see this list in the RR DB or the FCC DB. should this be submitted to the RR DB?

The only 700 MHz license that I've seen for the state, gives them carte blanche for low power 700 MHz operation. No specific frequencies listed. A number of people have heard 764.40625 and sounds like you've picked up 764.15625.

Someone had posted a link to some correspondence indicating that the state would have to change these frequencies with 700 rebanding, and that the FCC denied them a variance to stay on the old freqs. It might've been W4UVV. At any rate, it looks like they're still hanging touch with these two freqs. I've also heard 764.40625 repeating VSP traffic along I-95 near Woodbridge.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
n4jri said:
The only 700 MHz license that I've seen for the state, gives them carte blanche for low power 700 MHz operation. No specific frequencies listed. A number of people have heard 764.40625 and sounds like you've picked up 764.15625.

Someone had posted a link to some correspondence indicating that the state would have to change these frequencies with 700 rebanding, and that the FCC denied them a variance to stay on the old freqs. It might've been W4UVV. At any rate, it looks like they're still hanging touch with these two freqs. I've also heard 764.40625 repeating VSP traffic along I-95 near Woodbridge.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

have all of these been P25? I might have to turn on CC more then I do. Could we get the subject of this thread changed to something like "VSP Vehicle Repeater Freqs" or start a new thread for just these freqs?

AES-256

I'm picking up 764.15625 in Prince William and Fairfax in Analog repeating VSP CH-4 and CH-7. Has anyone got the PL tone for this and is this the correct frequency or is it 764.1562?

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
Mike, every instance I've heard of these, they' ve been P25, and the NAC is 07B.

KB4KRO, the correct frequency should be 764.15625. This is the first time I've heard of them being analog. Are you sure?

73/Allen (N4JRI)

AES-256

Allen, absolutely........I drove past 4 VSP units yesterday on 66 and heard rebroadcast of VSP CH-4 and CH-7 as I got within a mile of the units sitting in the median looking for HOV violators on the 764.15625 CSQ, I'm sure there is a PL or DPL associated, but my radio will not display them.........764.40625 with NAC 07B I've heard down your way, nothing on either one in digital up here.

If your hearing both frequency's down there in digital with NAC 07B, then it's a good bet that they are using both frequecy's up here in Division 7 in analog due to them still running on conventional.

Someone posted some pictures of a Troopers new radio equipment last year showing the Motorola XTL5000 O5 head and CDM 1250 mobile radios in his cruiser, but they also posted a picture of his XTS5000 portable showing the alpha tag as "VRS analog"....I haven't seen it yet, but I'm sure it's programmed also with "VRS digital".

STARS migration is still another year and a half out for up here(but, I won't hold my breath on that one).

Last edited:

AES-256

Ok, I've been scanning both 764.15625 and 764.40625 in analog for several days now. Both are very active along the interstates or anywhere close to a trooper in Divison 2 and 7 if they have the new equipment installed, otherwise listen for the 458.3500 VRS.....still have no idea what the PL or DPL is. I have been scanning both frequency's in digital around the area and have heard nothing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.