Unknown Items on top of utility poles

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapStar362

Hey guys, CapStar362 here, LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time that i have been on here.

im from GA, but have a friend who lives in Hermitage PA, needing help ID'ing these devices.

they were installed according to him all through this week in the town. i did some image filtering and i see what appears to be RF Warning placard at the top of the pole right under the cylinder and possibly on or next to the control box down below.

anyone have any idea what these are?

Thanks !

Attachments

• unk radio 2.jpg
    unk radio 2.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 183
  • unk radio 3.jpg
    unk radio 3.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 188
  • unk radio.jpg
    unk radio.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 160

Motoballa

Premium Subscriber
Probably a 5G setup, they asked my church about installing some on the light poles in our parking lot. The pictures they provided of what the setup would be looked similar to the one in the pictures you provided.

CapStar362

Probably a 5G setup, they asked my church about installing some on the light poles in our parking lot. The pictures they provided of what the setup would be looked similar to the one in the pictures you provided.

your church would be making some serious $$$$ IIRC for allowing it

Motoballa

Premium Subscriber
your church would be making some serious $$$$ IIRC for allowing it

I'm not gonna derail the topic and talk about my opinion on 5G since there are some controversial topics about it, we have yet to make a vote on it but we shall see.

Hopefully you found your answer! If you find out otherwise let us know what it is.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I'd have a hard time agreeing with it being 5G. 5G is still pretty rare and only been popping up in a few cities. I was in downtown San Francisco yesterday and my AT&T phone was showing 5Ge, which isn't "real" 5G...

Mostly those are small "fill in" sites for LTE service. There are a lot of them popping up around here to allow the carriers to shrink the cell site size and allow more bandwidth for a smaller number of users.

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
No offense, but why would little Hermitage, PA, a city of 16,000, be getting 5G installations before every major metro market in the state? Those a distributed antenna systems to improve existing cellular coverage in the area.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
No offense, but why would little Hermitage, PA, a city of 16,000, be getting 5G installations before every major metro market in the state? Those a distributed antenna systems to improve existing cellular coverage in the area.

Testing/setup training in small markets is a lot easier with fewer complaints than in large markets.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
I guess cities that have phone/utility lines underground won't be able to make use of this system. Imagine how the original humble telephone pole's use has blossomed with new technologies. You'd need a road map nowadays to figure out what all those cables and other accoutrements are. On some poles I've seen what looks like a kettle about a third of the way up.

ecps92

I think Church Steeples would be the solution for those with Underground Utilities
I guess cities that have phone/utility lines underground won't be able to make use of this system. Imagine how the original humble telephone pole's use has blossomed with new technologies. You'd need a road map nowadays to figure out what all those cables and other accoutrements are. On some poles I've seen what looks like a kettle about a third of the way up.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I think Church Steeples would be the solution for those with Underground Utilities

They stick them on top of lamp posts, just about anything else you can think of. There's some companies that will build RF transparent structures that look like water towers, vent stacks, chimneys, etc.

There's a church here in town that has the antennas built into the cross. There were some upset people, but that church is probably making $1,500 or more a month that could be used for helping those in need. And unless you know what you are looking for, no one would know they were there.

ecps92

Like the Pine Trees along the Highway :)
They stick them on top of lamp posts, just about anything else you can think of. There's some companies that will build RF transparent structures that look like water towers, vent stacks, chimneys, etc.

There's a church here in town that has the antennas built into the cross. There were some upset people, but that church is probably making $1,500 or more a month that could be used for helping those in need. And unless you know what you are looking for, no one would know they were there.

Status
Not open for further replies.