Unknown TG 2880 on Site 003

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbogs

I've been hearing this TG this evening...Sounds like Salt Lake County but not sure exactly what it is. Anyone hearing this and have any ideas?

qlajlu

Silent Key
tbogs said:
I've been hearing this TG this evening...Sounds like Salt Lake County but not sure exactly what it is. Anyone hearing this and have any ideas?
My Dusty List of Old TGs shows this TG to be Agency 16.

When the Olympics were in town, trunking in SL was in its infancy and they were rushing to have a workable radio system for the Games. The planners of the system knew that there would be hundreds of behind-the-scenes people from news to special police and private security details in attendance. They made allowance for these "unexpected" additional personnel that would need communications for whatever reason by setting up a block of 16 TGs they simply called "Agency" TGs.

This is how they broke down:

TGID - Agency #
2400 - Agency 1
2432 - Agency 2
2464 - Agency 3
2496 - Agency 4
2528 - Agency 5
2560 - Agency 6
2592 - Agency 7
2624 - Agency 8
2656 - Agency 9
2688 - Agency 10
2720 - Agency 11
2752 - Agency 12
2784 - Agency 13
2816 - Agency 14
2848 - Agency 15
2880 - Agency 16

I have heard traffic on one or two of these TGs in the past, but it has been so long ago I cannot remember who, what, or why. It is possible that someone has found these unused TGs to run tests on radios or something since they are already set up, ready to go, and are not assigned to anyone particular. They could very well be reassigned, too, because right now they are just simply there. We have a new city police department coming on line (Cottonwood Heights) and I would expect that they will need a TG. It might be that they will break Taylorsville away from the SLSO TG they are using also.

tbogs

When I heard this TG the other day it sounded like some type of surveillance. I did not hear dispatch or anything like that. I'll continue to watch out for this TG and try to figure out what this is.

bneilson

Premium Subscriber
Caught this one again today...

They were doing surveillance and it was at least one known SLCo SO Unit and another unit that I have been trying to figure out who he is due to his radio ID.

RID: 25631 (SLCo SO)
RID: 1 (SLC Basic Unit-8?)

The last thing RID 25631 said was "I will switch over to Oquirrh" and let them know. As we all know Oquirrh is one of the SLCo SO channels.

bneilson

Premium Subscriber
They are active again today. More SLCo SO units.

RID: 25433
RID: 25749
RID: 25509

They are talking about being in the "usual spot"

bneilson

Premium Subscriber
More Activity

More activity today on this still unknown TG...

RID: 25843
RID: 25749 (Again)
RID: 25433 (Again)

It is more of the same type of traffic with very little to go on for us to ID it.

So far we know it is used for surveillance by the SLCo SO.

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
The other day they started on this TG (2880) then switched to "TAC". They reappeared up on TG224. One ID'ed as Metro 698.

Observer1

Metro 698 is Metro Gang Unit. They operate on different channels depending on where they are. (i.e. if they're in Salt Lake City, they operate through SLCPD's dispatch)

kf7yn

When myself and others first mapped out Salt Lake County Sheriff, SLC PD, Sandy PD, South Jordan, etc radios 8 or 9 years ago, those Agency 1-16 TGs were in every police radio we mapped. Metro units usually use Ops TGs but they can turn up anywhere at any time, as we all know.

I've never heard the Agency TGs being reassigned, but you never know... For now, we should call them 'Agency' until we have definitive info otherwise. Does everyone concur on that?

bneilson

Premium Subscriber
Active again today.

They are making reference to "deals" and people making them.

Also I looked through the RIDs that have been active today and I have previously ID one of them as an SLCo SO Oquirrh unit.

In addition I saw that one had affiliated with TG: 17440 which is another unidentified. My old list shows that one as State Special Ops 3.

RID: 25433 (Again)
RID: 25509 (Again)
RID: 25697
RID: 25916

N7YUO

There are three main groups that run surveillance in SL County:
JCAT Joint Criminal Aprehension Team, US Marshalls and Local cops (OPS 5)
Metro Gang cops
Drug Enforcement (Probably with DEA involvement)

The drug enforcement guys have been all over. They like to try to remain obscure, If you talk about them too much in a public forum, they will move again, so please keep the chatter to a minimum.
In the VHF days, they would jump to different freqs like 155.565 and 155.445.
Old Talk Group records indicate they have used TGs 5216 & 5408. I used to hear them on 3456, then 4128. After the SL Sheriff joined UCAN, they moved to 2912 the old SLCO Detective TG. Now, they are also using 2880 the old Agency 16.

Agency TGs were unassigned TGs when SLCO shared a TSYS with SL City. Jordan School Security was using Agency 1. Since the SLCO-UCAN merger, I do not believe these were put back into any radios. UCAN likes standard templates where eveybody can communicate with each other.

Anyway, there have been some interesting comms:
"War-Room to Surveillance, It's getting too dark to see anything on the pole camera"
"Our bandit just got a phone call from a new unknown player."
Once, a team of local "Agents" traveled north to Snowville. Agents from Twin Falls were following "suspects" toward Utah. They "handed-off" the suspects to the local agents who tailed them back to Salt Lake.
FWIW, You can also tune into the agents from Davis Co (12000) and Weber Strike Force (12032)
So now you know. They are a multi-agency task force trying to clean out the dope.

Rolfman

Some of this has to do with the criminal element getting smarter. Earlier this week my fence got vandalized and after the officer did the report we were chatting about scanning since his father is in to it as well.

They have been busting guys and finding scanners with them.

N7YUO

Well, I don't usually post info about these "agents" in public forums for that reason. I would discuss it privately with people I know and trust. But this thread was really getting going with a lot of speculation.
There have always been a few sophisticated criminals who know how to use scanners.
When I post scanner programs like .p500, I do not include Narc, Swat, SpOps TGs.

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
This TG is active again, today. Is there a consensis as to whether this TG should be added to the Database? Or not?

N7YUO

All of the comms I have heard on 2880 & 2912 were drug related. Those of us who read and participate in the Utah forum now know, or should be able to figure out what these TGRPs are for. I do not recommend publishing these sensitive TGs in our publicly available DB.
Each time their TG gets published, these guys get their radios programmed with new TGs. Be glad that you can listen to their non-encrypted comms.

Around 2001, I listed some Utah TGs on some websites. I didn't know what to call some of the TGs,
so I just labeled them SURV A, SURV B, SURV C, SURV D. When I got my PSR500, it came pre-programmed with Utah talk groups. One of them was SURV D 3456. Where did they get that?

N7YUO

Defunct Agency TGRPs

Wow, something new. I had never heard of these 'Agency' TG's. Maybe we should try and track if they are being used consistently now.
To understand this, you have to go way back to the days before UCAN.
SLCO & SLC shared a Motorola trunked 800 system. Some radios were mapped and it was discovered that SLCO had some Agency TGs. I only heard one used, and that was Jordan School Security at the time. It is my opinion that SLCO had these TGs set aside for any Agency that wanted to join their trunked system.
After SLCO joined UCAN, and radios were programmed with new templates, a map of one of the new radios showed no Agency TGs.
Also, SLC & SLCO had their own Event TGs. These were also absent in the new template. In their place were the UCAN Event TGs which are programmed into every UCAN radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.