• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Unmarked Chopper Patrols New York City from High Above

Status
Not open for further replies.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
I love this part:
Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly has said that no other U.S. law enforcement agency "has anything that comes close" to the surveillance chopper, which was designed by engineers at Bell Helicopter and computer technicians based on NYPD specifications.
I guess the DEA is no longer a law enforcment agency. :lol:

LEH

Premium Subscriber
blinddog50 said:
The statement "Obviously we're not looking into apartments", means that they already have.
Could be they still are, but it probably refers to the way the chopper in 'Blue Thunder' was used.

It's going to happen. Give a guy a good sight and he'll stop and look at it. One of the two reasons the Air Force stopped ferrying crews to its Titan II missile silos around Tucson in the mid 70's were cost savings, the choppers were expensive to operate, and complaints about the choppers 'circling' residences in the outlying areas where people were 'sunbathing' (read into that whatever you like).

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Bloomberg says "terrorists" and he gets a warehouse full of rich boy's toys. I say "terrorists" and people look around for New York license plates. That expensive eggbeater is looking in the wrong place, they're HERE raising hell and won't leave us in peace until November.

Well, there's plenty to listen to on the scanner.

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
OMG, its 1984!

OMG, close the blinds and draw the shades, George Orwell’s 1984 predictions are coming to fruition: "Winston and Julia are eventually apprehended by the Thought Police in their supposed sanctuary, which actually contains a hidden telescreen, and are then interrogated separately in the Ministry of Love." And to think this book was written in 1948, and published a year later. 1984 came and went, and many people (including sitting Supreme Court judges) are still worried that this nutcase's vision (a bloody Brit to boot) will come to fruition!

Got news for you folks, black helicopters don't exist and there wasn't an Apache at Waco! It was a Texas Army National Guard Blackhawk with two 230-gallon external fuel tanks mounted on the sides. I saw the bullet holes it took. Might look like an Apache at a distance but it wasn't. Art Bell was an idiot, good riddance. NYPD isn't flying this chopper every day, in fact, they are probably only flying it during special events or dignitary visits because operating it is very expensive. The camera system is no better than what the news media helos have on them and also just for the record, thermal energy can't pass through glass. So what you saw in Blue Thunder (the feds in the office building) was pure Hollywood fiction. Also, I don't think they have been able to develop a "whisper mode" for a helicopter yet. The technology exists to cancel out the engine noise but its pretty hard to cancel out rotor noises. I also seriously doubt that when NYPD is flying this helo they are looking into apartment buildings or naked women on rooftop pools. They will be downlinking the video to a command post (where a lot of brass will be watching) and most likely only be watching public areas where people have no expectations of privacy.

Mark

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
letarotor said:
OMG, close the blinds and draw the shades, George Orwell’s 1984 predictions are coming to fruition: "Winston and Julia are eventually apprehended by the Thought Police in their supposed sanctuary, which actually contains a hidden telescreen, and are then interrogated separately in the Ministry of Love." And to think this book was written in 1948, and published a year later. 1984 came and went, and many people (including sitting Supreme Court judges) are still worried that this nutcase's vision (a bloody Brit to boot) will come to fruition!

Got news for you folks, black helicopters don't exist and there wasn't an Apache at Waco! It was a Texas Army National Guard Blackhawk with two 230-gallon external fuel tanks mounted on the sides. I saw the bullet holes it took. Might look like an Apache at a distance but it wasn't. Art Bell was an idiot, good riddance. NYPD isn't flying this chopper every day, in fact, they are probably only flying it during special events or dignitary visits because operating it is very expensive. The camera system is no better than what the news media helos have on them and also just for the record, thermal energy can't pass through glass. So what you saw in Blue Thunder (the feds in the office building) was pure Hollywood fiction. Also, I don't think they have been able to develop a "whisper mode" for a helicopter yet. The technology exists to cancel out the engine noise but its pretty hard to cancel out rotor noises. I also seriously doubt that when NYPD is flying this helo they are looking into apartment buildings or naked women on rooftop pools. They will be downlinking the video to a command post (where a lot of brass will be watching) and most likely only be watching public areas where people have no expectations of privacy.

Mark
There are "quieter" helicopters that can really sneak up on you. But no coast to coast "black helicopters" of the NWO that the tinfoil guys talk about. I think its the jetranger? The thing the army uses as the Kiowa scout copter is TINY and very manouverable. There are pics on the net of Blackwater dropping these things into alleys and under arched monuments in baghdad. They wouldnt realy be all that practical for a domestic survelence job in a big city like NYC. There is tons of helo traffic in NYC and it would take a SH-53 launching IR flares at 800ft autorotating to get my attention in the city.

If you are worried about arieal domestic survelance, then you need to worry when you see an unmarked blimp parked over the city. ;)

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
Actually Blackwater in Iraq has been using the MD Helicopters Inc. MD530F model. Its a souped up Hughes 500 OH-6 Loach which first saw action in Vietnam. The 530F model sports a wedged nose cone for more room in the cabin, five main rotor blades and a Rolls Royce 250-C30 engine rated at 650shp. I've got quite a bit of time in a 500E model with the 250-C20 420shp engine, and it's quite the sports car in the air. An ideal helicopter for the mission they are doing there. It is also the helo Task Force 160th uses as their "little bird" ground support gunships.
http://www.aerospace-technology.com/projects/md_500e/

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
letarotor said:
Actually Blackwater in Iraq has been using the MD Helicopters Inc. MD530F model. Its a souped up Hughes 500 OH-6 Loach which first saw action in Vietnam. The 530F model sports a wedged nose cone for more room in the cabin, five main rotor blades and a Rolls Royce 250-C30 engine rated at 650shp. I've got quite a bit of time in a 500E model with the 250-C20 420shp engine, and it's quite the sports car in the air. An ideal helicopter for the mission they are doing there. It is also the helo Task Force 160th uses as their "little bird" ground support gunships.
http://www.aerospace-technology.com/projects/md_500e/

yeah thats the one! Neat little thing. Hardly needs any room to land. Very effective in urban enviroments!:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.