Unusual Propagative Behavior Tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

ridgescan

Has anyone else noticed the weird behavior across all the SW broadcast bands tonight? Virtually every signal carrier across the board has the deeply fluttery characteristics that would only be evident from signals from the middle-east. Even WWV sounds like it's making the trip from the sands of Saudi Arabia. I know it's due to the X3 storm we're in the middle of but I personally have never seen anything like this. The odd thing is that the signals are very clear-more so than usual except for that crazy flutter.

majoco

Stirrer
Yup. WWVH on 10MHz has a got a sort of warble on it and WWV behind it has even more. Should be clear skies tonight so may have a better chance to see the Aurora. I wish I could turn out the street lights though, knew I should have kept that old Daisy BB gun.... :)

Boombox

Didn't tune into the shortwaves last night, but heard a couple rare California stations on the MW band, rare for me anyway. Including one I got by holding my Sony ICF-38 against the top rail of a chain link fence. Boosted KERN Wasco 1180 by 1-2 db. Rather cool use for a chain link fence.

majoco

Stirrer
Quote from my post in HF/LF/MW above...

Yesterday evening, 2100local/0900UTC here was very quiet to the East and West but the Chinese stations were booming in - I even found one in English! WWVH on 5 and 10MHz was burbling - 15MHz inaudible.

Again too cloudy to see anything of the Aurora.

ridgescan

Well it seems the flutter party is over. What few signals I can get at 2244UTC are back to the normal steadier carriers with the typical fades.

Status
Not open for further replies.