• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Unusual traffic stop technique

Status
Not open for further replies.

Landman

Several days in a row I drove down Interstate 10 through St. Martin Parish, Louisiana and observed a Louisiana State Trooper in an SUV doing traffic stops on 18 wheelers. When he stopped the vehicles instead of positioning his unit behind the violator as is customary he instead drove off the road into the grass, drove along side of the 18 wheeler and positioned his unit so that his drivers door was even with the rear of the tractor portion of the truck. Anyone know the reason for this unusual positioning of the unit? It seems to me that it would make him more vulnerable if a passenger would come out shooting. The trooper would be exposed. I have seen many times where Louisiana State Troopers position their units behind the car they stop and then turn the front of the car angled about 15 degrees toward the road and turn the wheels all the way to the left. This would allow the engine block and wheels to provide cover should the violator come out shooting. The technique that the weights and standards trooper used above, however, would seem to leave him vulnerable. Any thoughts?

The logic behind this is that you're more likely to get rammed up the *** by the next 18-wheeler that needed to be stopped for speeding than you are to get shot by the guy driving the one you did stop. Out of the thousands of traffic stops that occur daily across the nation, practically none involve the driver going postal on the cop. However, out of the same number of stops, maybe a hundred or so cop cars get hit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNLnD84x_QQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YOvEjJYFNc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0n1K6DAxlI&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNLXQGC62qg&NR=1

There's hundreds more videos of stuff like this all over.

Last edited:

tampabaynews

Premium Subscriber
Agreed, it's most likely to avoid getting slammed into! Probably the same reasoning why more and more traffic stops are conducted with the LEO making contact with the driver through the passenger window.

ff-medic

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The Appalachians - Next to the tent and campfire.
Several days in a row I drove down Interstate 10 through St. Martin Parish, Louisiana and observed a Louisiana State Trooper in an SUV doing traffic stops on 18 wheelers. When he stopped the vehicles instead of positioning his unit behind the violator as is customary he instead drove off the road into the grass, drove along side of the 18 wheeler and positioned his unit so that his drivers door was even with the rear of the tractor portion of the truck. Anyone know the reason for this unusual positioning of the unit? It seems to me that it would make him more vulnerable if a passenger would come out shooting. The trooper would be exposed. I have seen many times where Louisiana State Troopers position their units behind the car they stop and then turn the front of the car angled about 15 degrees toward the road and turn the wheels all the way to the left. This would allow the engine block and wheels to provide cover should the violator come out shooting. The technique that the weights and standards trooper used above, however, would seem to leave him vulnerable. Any thoughts?

Just my two cents, I seen the same thing on "Cops", last year ; for an episode that was filmed about three years ago. A Florida Sheriffs office did the same thing. Primary unit and backup unit. And they got a boat load of dope if I recall correctly. Seems off to me though, cause if they had to use their sidearms / weapons, they would be shooting "toward" oncoming vehicle traffic, transiting vehcile traffic ; Instead of most likely having a deadstop for the bullets in the hillside / bankment to the right of the stopped vehicle. A traffic stop does not have to occur where the traffic offense happened, the officer can follow the traffic offender / suspect, till he or she decides a safe location for the traffic stop to benefit the offenders / suspects safety, as well as teh safety of themselves and the public.

Officer safety takes many forms and tactics.

Some Law Enforecement agencys put the arrested person in the front seat, some put the arrested person in the back seat ( non caged crusier ). Yes, there is a tactical reason to put the arrested person in the front seat. Agency policy and or education and training.

From a lone Police Officer standing at the drivers side door on a traffic stop, to standing at the passenger side door. ( ? To keep from getting run over by other passing vehicles ? )

From parking a police crusier parking straight, but just offside and to the left of the suspect vehicle; and the officer going from his door, to the left rear side of the suspect vehicle to the suspect drivers door ----> to the police cruiser parking at a 40 or 45 degree angle to the left, and the police officer approaching the drivers side door of the suspect vehicle cautiously.

Make the traffic stop, only as long as possible - to defeat the chance that something may go wrong. The longer the trafic stop , the more of a chance of something going in err, or a "Event" occurring. Make the traffic stop, write the citation, and clear from the stop. Sounds stupid to some people, but that is the way it is. The long side / aspect / rationale is - make the stop, do the " Investigation" ; make an arrest decision / decision for summons or citation ; and clear the area. Is that taught in ALL Law Enforement academys? Hmmm?

Time changes, and new tactics come along. Different Law Enforcement agencys and departments teach different manners and tactics; ways of completing everyday task. Some departments have Standard Operating Procedures or Guidelines , for topics / events / tasks, for what other agencys don't have.

Either way, the safety of Public Safety personnel is paramount. Wheather it is a Fireman, Law Enforcement Officer, or EMS professional.

Don't get education, in reference to public safety from a television. Class room work is recommended. Actual field experience is what counts.

FF - Medic !!!

Last edited:

ff-medic

Banned
The logic behind this is that you're more likely to get rammed up the *** by the next 18-wheeler that needed to be stopped for speeding than you are to get shot by the guy driving the one you did stop. Out of the thousands of traffic stops that occur daily across the nation, practically none involve the driver going postal on the cop. However, out of the same number of stops, maybe a hundred or so cop cars get hit..
This happened where I live. Coincidence ; a Deputy was investigating a wreck of a tractor and trailer; and the rear end of his crusier got hit. Ahhh, 40 or 50 MPH as I recall.

I like halogen lightbars for dedicated night officers ; so they don't blind you. And they are cheaper. But daytime, I belive LED lights are the best, and are seen farther, and are more recognizable than halogen lightbars. LED take down lights and alley lights, far surpass halogen ; and increase officer safety with brightness, clarity and transmitting a "White" light farther. Espcially the distance broadcasted of the LED alley lights of a night. Much, much better than Halogen, and I have used both. The distance " Upwards" extended, seems to be much better with LED than halogen alley lights to. More of a focused circle with LED alley lights, versus the "Flat Plane" of a halogen alley light.

Halogens, I expect will be phased out in about five to seven years.

Police Crusiers with an LED lightbar, flashing tail lights and wig-wag headlights, lights in the back glass ; is somewhat understandable , as it gets oncoming drivers attention. A driver not paying attention, not focused, thinking about something else while driving ; I guess it would be possible during day time situations not to see a lightbar on a public safety vehicle. But wig wag flashing lights, alternating lit sequences, dash lights, back window lights, flashing back up lights---> could be seen much better / more recognizable.

When I took the EVOC course ( Emergency Vehicle Operations ) it was taught to use alternating tones with the siren while driving in an emergency situation. Psychologically, one may not hear the single and continous siren tone ( Example - the " WAIL" ). But if the driver ( assistant in Fire / EMS vehicles ) alternates the siren tone on a regular basis, they are more likely to be heard. I would speculate the same is for emergency light bars.

Very few things in Public Safety occur without reason or training. Sometimes from studies done by professional research organizations in reference to that department, or some federal standard come along.

Driving "Code Three' is with due regard to other vehicles, and not being reckless. But that does not mean that you cannot, or will not get in an accident / collision. It happens. Police Cruisers, Ambulances, Fire trucks overturning at an intersection.

But understand that driving "Code Three" ( lights, siren, and an increased speed ) means that in most circumstances, the radio dispatch to the Public Safety agency; meant that live, limb, and or property is "On the line" ; or of serious concern.

FF - Medic !!

Last edited:

kayn1n32008

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

tampabaynews said:
Agreed, it's most likely to avoid getting slammed into! Probably the same reasoning why more and more traffic stops are conducted with the LEO making contact with the driver through the passenger window.
This is SOP for the RCMP and Sheriffs on the major hiway between Calgary and Edmonton. Too many stupid people that do not know how to drive safely. We also have a law that when emergency vehicals, including towtrucks,have their emergency light, on the speed limit in the lane adjacent to them is 60Km/h, and surprisingly people actually slow down. Although the officer is exposed, 99.999999999% of truck drivers are not going to do anything to that officer. The much bigger threat is the traffic that is going by at 110-140Km/h on the hiway bside the stopped truck

ff-medic

Banned
Out of the thousands of traffic stops that occur daily across the nation, practically none involve the driver going postal on the cop.
Well...yes, in a way. Not included is the main highways going noth and south from New York to Florida , especially in the states of Florida and Georgia ; where "Drug Interdiction" takes place.

Ever drive though the lower states on the east coast ( Florida comes to mind ) and actually see the police cruiser parked on the side of the interstate with a dog hanging out the back window?

Highway Patrol / State Police agencys in unmarked crusiers with two officers? Looking for suspicius drivers, possible narcotic violators ( an instructed course taught at some academys ).

A traffic stop based on the threat. A routine traffic stop, or a stop with increased awareness, far from routine ; based on facts and events witnessed. If "Increased Awareness" occurs , tactics for that officer change.

FF - Medic !!!

Last edited:

ff-medic

Banned
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

This is SOP for the RCMP and Sheriffs on the major hiway between Calgary and Edmonton. Too many stupid people that do not know how to drive safely. We also have a law that when emergency vehicals, including towtrucks,have their emergency light, on the speed limit in the lane adjacent to them is 60Km/h, and surprisingly people actually slow down. Although the officer is exposed, 99.999999999% of truck drivers are not going to do anything to that officer. The much bigger threat is the traffic that is going by at 110-140Km/h on the hiway bside the stopped truck
Yes. But, you are supposed to gradually slow traffic. Disrupting the normal flow of traffic can cause a traffic hazzard, and increase the chances of a vehicle accident. You don't slow traffic down "All at once."

A person directing traffic, with cones / flairs and or lighting ; well before ( ?? 1/3 to 1/2 mile ) before the "Accident" area decreases the chance of a traffic accident. Just like "Deacceleration" lanes on interstate offramps. The offramp is supposed ot be long enough to safely deaccelerate, as to not get in a vehicular accident. Interstate onramps, are designed to give the chance for transiting vehicles to safely merge with the normal flow of traffic. NHTSA says it simple, as I recall.

FF - Medic !!!

ff-medic

Banned

. Although the officer is exposed, 99.999999999% of truck drivers are not going to do anything to that officer. The much bigger threat is the traffic that is going by at 110-140Km/h on the hiway bside the stopped truck
I do not know about Canada , but here in the United States, Law Enforcement officers are "ran over" frequently.

FF - Medic !!!

kayn1n32008

It is sad that it happends, but it is not something that happends here that often. I believe that approaching on the passenger side in Canada is a technique adopoted from the USA, even here in Edmonton the city police approach on the passenger side as well. I belive it to be a good thing just due to how stupid drivers are here.

Nap

We also have a law that when emergency vehicals, including towtrucks,have their emergency light, on the speed limit in the lane adjacent to them is 60Km/h, and surprisingly people actually slow down.
In Ontario you're also supposed to change lane to a more distant one if you can, and most people are actually observing it:

"Upon approaching an emergency vehicle with its lamp producing intermittent flashes of red light or red and blue light that is stopped on a highway with two or more lanes of traffic on the same side of the highway as the side on which the emergency vehicle is stopped, the driver of a vehicle traveling in the same lane that the emergency vehicle is stopped in or in a lane that is adjacent to the emergency vehicle, in addition to slowing down and proceeding with caution as required by subsection (2), shall move into another lane if the movement can be made in safety."

tampabaynews

Premium Subscriber
In Ontario you're also supposed to change lane to a more distant one if you can, and most people are actually observing it:

"Upon approaching an emergency vehicle with its lamp producing intermittent flashes of red light or red and blue light that is stopped on a highway with two or more lanes of traffic on the same side of the highway as the side on which the emergency vehicle is stopped, the driver of a vehicle traveling in the same lane that the emergency vehicle is stopped in or in a lane that is adjacent to the emergency vehicle, in addition to slowing down and proceeding with caution as required by subsection (2), shall move into another lane if the movement can be made in safety."
Many states in the US have adopted that is well. In Florida, you are required to move over a lane or slow down when an emergency vehicle is stopped and lights activated. I try to do it even when there's a disabled vehicle on the shoulder as well. Interstate and highway pedestrian accidents don't turn out well.

Status
Not open for further replies.