Upcoming changes to Iowa radio systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris451rr

IHP time delayed howling

Something odd heard on Cedar Rapids base. (2/6/2018) Sometimes when a car keys up there is looping feedback audio with time delay and a howling noise. The ident tones loop too. As if they are doing something new with audio links to remote sites? Only one or two of the cars exhibit this.
Still plain old analog.
155.655 Cedar Rapids is where this has been heard several times the last few weeks.
The dispatcher complains to the car about it.
The other day:
Looking at the Ford explorer driven by vehicle enforcement. They had several antennas on all bands VHF UHF and 800. Did not get a good photo but tried.

nd5y

(2/6/2018) Sometimes when a car keys up there is looping feedback audio with time delay and a howling noise.
If it continues after the user unkeys then that's the textbook case of what happens when you have two repeaters with the same but opposite input/output frequencies and the same PL/DCS that begin to be able to hear eachother during a tropo opening.
The ident tones loop too. As if they are doing something new with audio links to remote sites? Only one or two of the cars exhibit this.
That's the strange part so it's probably some other reason. Could be a simple as somebody with two radios right next to each other

mws72

Premium Subscriber
There was times I heard the what the probably the same sound. It was caused by several mobiles with extenders from the same agency activated at a scene. This back in the early days (late 70's).

mws72

Premium Subscriber
Heard on The Hospital Alert Network today. Net control reported that RACOM has told them they will be shutting down the Waterloo and Cedar Falls Sites December 1st.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
Heard on The Hospital Alert Network today. Net control reported that RACOM has told them they will be shutting down the Waterloo and Cedar Falls Sites December 1st.
HAN has almost completely switch to a VoIP system

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

MCWKen

I haven't heard much in the way of a statewide system, does anyone have any more information on this?

Well this morning (02:59), ISP 371 out of Mason City was told they were using Call 3C via the VHF radio. Not sure if this was a tactical move, or what. What is really unusual, is that this system was supposed to be TDMA, but I am hearing some of the audio with a Whistler WS1040.

Worth County is actively using the new State system as well as their VHF radio has fallen silent.

tfhphoto

Premium Subscriber
Well this morning (02:59), ISP 371 out of Mason City was told they were using Call 3C via the VHF radio. Not sure if this was a tactical move, or what. What is really unusual, is that this system was supposed to be TDMA, but I am hearing some of the audio with a Whistler WS1040.

Worth County is actively using the new State system as well as their VHF radio has fallen silent.

At least in the Sioux City area, "all" the ISP traffic I've heard has been phase I. I think many (most/all?) of the talk groups are set up as dynamic - meaning that if there is a phase I only radio affiliated to the TG all traffic on the TG will be phase I modulation. If only phase II radios are affiliated, then all traffic is phase II modulation. Sioux City PD sometimes switches back and forth between Phases I and II depending on who had turned on or off their radio. On Woodbury simulcast, the vast majority of the traffic is Phase I (due to VFDs getting O.G. hand me down Starcomm radios from the SO and PD.

MCWKen

I did find later than they used the 700 mhz system for normal traffic til about 0700, when they reverted to the VHF system. However, I still cannot hear anything from Worth County, so my guess is, they did go Phase-II. I will still keep the new State Radio open, just in case they decide to switch over again.

I think you mentioned a good point, many of not most of the VFD's are cash poor, and forcing them up to a new band would require them to seek out some sort of funding. Especially true in the case of first responders in the surrounding counties that depend on Mason City ambulance, is the communication with that service. Right now, only a few departments have an 800 mhz radio to update responding ambulances.

Some incidents are really difficult when the FD, cannot communicate with the SO, or ISP, or Ambulances. It really makes the case for this new system.

tfhphoto

Premium Subscriber
Worth County being all Phase 2 makes sense. It's my understanding that all new radios on the system have to be phase 2. Since Woodbury simulcast came into ISICS after many years as a standalone 800 MHz Phase 1 system (as did Westcom), they still have a lot of P1 radios in use. I assume as those age out so will P1.

N0ZJT

Database Admin
The City Of Oelwein approved a resolution on Monday night to proceed with purchase to convert the existing RACOM - Oelwein tower to a P25 Phase 2 capable site linked to SARA.

Status
Not open for further replies.