Update On News and Frequency Changes....

Status
Not open for further replies.

btritch

PARAGOULD/GREENE COUNTY AR:
Mayor Mike Gaskill along with city council and quorum court members have asked Congressman Marion Berry to apply for a wavier to obtain trunk VHF channels for emergency response crews throughout Greene County.
Gaskill met with representatives from Berry's office during a trip to Washington D.C. earlier this month and sent a letter outlining the request to the congressman's office this week.
County response units such as the Paragould Fire Department, Paragould Police Department, and the Greene County Sheriff's Office already have VHF channels for commuinications with one another in an emergency. But if a catastrophic event such as an earthquake, flood or devastating tornado occured the current system might become very overwhelmed said owner of Paragould Communications Owner Nicki Arnold.
We have excellent communications with our current primary channels but we need to stay one step ahead said Arnold.
Officials are requesting access to at least four VHF trunk frequency pairs, giving responders eight total channels.
VHF frequencies are controlled by the Federal Communications Commission and the commission has kept a tight grip on them since the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, 2001 Gaskill Said.
Should the county aquire the trunk VHF channels it would have a nearly unlimited ability to communicate in a crisis situation said Arnold, outside response teams and rural emergency teams such as first responders and volunteer departments could tap into the system also if needed said Arnold.
The city already owns several UHF Frequencies at this time but in order to change over all of the emergency response radios and equipment would be very expensive, Gaskill Said.
"If I had to estimate how much it would cost I'd have to say it's anywhere from $175,000 to $250,000 to replace and modify the current equipment and other stuff, Arnold Said.
Once the waiver is approved authorities would then have to apply for licensure through a public safety coordination agency, such as the Association of Public Safety Communications Officials.
APCO and similar organizations currently are responsible for radio communication licensures Arnold Said.
Despite efforts to obtain better emergency communications, Gaskill said he wants citizens not to worry. "Our Ability to respond is excellent as it currently stands" Gaskiill Quoted. This will only help us to get better as we go and as things become more advanced in the future said Arnold and Gaskill. If a crisis were to strike today or tomarrow or even next week, We would be completely capable of handling the situation as the current system would handle the situation.

bpckty1

Why go for trunked VHF when AWIN is already in place?

Methinx that someone has been listening to a snake oil salesman who wants to reinvent the wheel and make a few $$$ along the way.

btritch

bpckty1 said:
Why go for trunked VHF when AWIN is already in place?

Methinx that someone has been listening to a snake oil salesman who wants to reinvent the wheel and make a few $$$ along the way.

That is How I see it!!!! that what I said..

iamhere300

I don't have a problem with them wanting to upgrade, but the "waiver" that they state they are having to get? That needs Barrys help? Puhleaze.

IMHO it appears they are listening to their local two way shop, and not thinking clearly. am a fan of using your local twoway dealer - BUT - get some more input. That one dealer may be looking at the only way he can make any money is to sell a new system, if they go AWIN the local shop will not make anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.