Updated the HomePatrol DataBase - favourite channels no longer available

Status
Not open for further replies.

neoengel

I know I'm the new guy here so I post this slightly cringing:

Since the topic of the thread has slightly derailed, if/when will there be a fix to the problem in the original post? I see there was an edit to the reply stating that the database was taken offline to prevent more people getting the same problem.

Last edited:

Viper43

I just spent 2 weeks traveling about 2000 miles over a huge island province and only needed one scanner with GPS enabled. When I did have a second scanner running, I just set the location to the closest applicable city every now and then.

I have only one more thing to say in this conversation before I wrap it up, and that's: I hope you are not the one driving when you're messing around with 7 scanners.

Thats you not me, you an do what you want, I'll do it my way. And yeah, I'm driving, but I don't have to mess with the radios once they are set up. Heck I used to run more than that in the fire trucks and ambulances....plus run lights and siren while driving. Some people can do more than one thing annd drive, Oh, and besides 7 radios there are 2 laptops....

ERoberts

At about 9:30 EDT I removed the new database files from this morning, fired up Sentinel and it downloaded last weeks update OK.. We'll probably get an update from UPMan on this...

Probably a bad time to ask Paul if I can get the County names back in the site info:D (kidding, Paul)

Could you explain how you did that. My sentinal database is all wrong 9/16/11. I don't think they fixed the database yet

Last edited:

OCO

UPMan posted instructions in this thread today on the Uniden forum... Since I was doing it on a Vista box I'll quote his instructions rather than what I did:
Please delete the following file from your PC:
WinXP : "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Uniden\HomePatrol_Sentinel\Updater\MasterHpdb_09_18_2011.gz"
Win7 : "C:\ProgramData\Uniden\HomePatrol_Sentinel\Updater\MasterHpdb_09_18_2011.gz"

Then, do "Update Master HPDB." This will revert to the 9/11/2011 database.

neoengel

I thank those who provided answers and I've done the above and updated however the same error exists where Waterloo Region does not show up in the scanning rotation like it did. Bell Fleetnet, Peel, Halton and Hamilton show up like they did before and during this screw up.

However I did manage to take the time to successfully create a favourites list while we still wait for a proper resolution for this problem. At this rate I'd settle for the device to be reset to the way it was when I first purchased it... and it worked.

Viper43

If you followed the instructions in the link it should be like it was before the 9/18 update. Theres another reason your "Waterloo" isn't loading, maybe it's avoided or the DB or card are corrupted. Sometimes happens after an update.

mciupa

I thank those who provided answers and I've done the above and updated however the same error exists where Waterloo Region does not show up in the scanning rotation like it did. Bell Fleetnet, Peel, Halton and Hamilton show up like they did before and during this screw up.

However I did manage to take the time to successfully create a favourites list while we still wait for a proper resolution for this problem. At this rate I'd settle for the device to be reset to the way it was when I first purchased it... and it worked.

Getting rid of that .gz file will help correct the problem.

I went to the START menu on my computer and typed HomePatrol Sentinel in the SEARCH box. I looked through the list and deleted the .gz file created on the 19th.

I went to the Sentinel program and forced the database to load, then wrote it to the HomePatrol, this gave me a database date of 09/11/2011 plus all my favorites back again. On a 30 mile range, I receive around 3500 channels including my favorites. Now I'm a happy camper. :)

On the 09/18/2011 HomePatrol download, it was in the neighborhood of 2000 which loaded extremely slow, no favorite lists and a Memory Full error. :(

OCO

UPMan posted an update in that same thread on the Uniden HP1 forum this morning. Sounds like it may be a while for a new DB. Last good is available as he has posted in that thread.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I posted this over at the HP forums but I will post it here too:

For those that might not be computer savvy enough to be able to make the needed changes
I should be able to help you out over a GotoMeeting Session.
It should take no longer than 15 mins or so.
For this to happen though a couple of requirements must be met:
1) You must be on a wired high speed internet connection. A wireless Wifi
connection is not reliable enough.
2) You must email me at KE4ZNR-at-radioreference.com to set up a time
that is convenient for both of us. My day job is in I.T. so that has to come
first but I am willing to work with folks in the evening hours.
I am on the east coast so also consider that please.
But if you still need help getting the database reverted to the previous
edition feel free to email me at KE4ZNR-at-radioreference.com to get the process
started.
Thanks
Marshall Sherard KE4ZNR
KE4ZNR-at-radioreference.com

Viper43

And for those in the Indy area if you need help I can help out if you don't mind driving to the McCordsville/Fortville area. Just PM me for directions. Since the fix might take a few days I'd be willing to walk people through it who need help or do the update right here in the shop.

DonS

Don,
This won't help inn this case. The way it was set up the county was part of the site name such as Greenfield,Hancock so when planning a trip I could open Delorme, map my route and have all the counties listed and through FreeScan or Sentinel I could go through and lock out all sites not on my route. To do that now I would have to have 3 or more programs open and so would be the RR DB so I can check each site and county. Basically it will add a lot time to do the same thing that took an hour before would now take 30 to 60 minutes more and thats assuming I won't loose mmy connection....It's so much easier to have the site have the county with it for that type of thing, especially for those in business where they travel a lot.

My point was that the info is available in the RRDB and a single piece of software could use it - if that piece of software was written to take advantage of the info. For example, I spent about 10 minutes tweaking my Win500 program, and here's how it now displays the sites for Colorado DTRS:
dtrs_sites.jpg

Viper43

My point was that the info is available in the RRDB and a single piece of software could use it - if that piece of software was written to take advantage of the info. For example, I spent about 10 minutes tweaking my Win500 program, and here's how it now displays the sites for Colorado DTRS:
dtrs_sites.jpg

I know exactly what your point was Don but your MISSING the point.... Now back on subjet of this thread....

neoengel

If you followed the instructions in the link it should be like it was before the 9/18 update. Theres another reason your "Waterloo" isn't loading, maybe it's avoided or the DB or card are corrupted. Sometimes happens after an update.

I have checked for avoids (they show up when cycling through the top level when the lock symbol is on) and even pressed the reset button and tried a different microSD card. I also reloaded the sentinel software to the computer and "Waterloo Region" still doesn't show...

Note: the Waterloo Region selection is found in the (Ontario) Provincial/State systems in the software but does not show in the device's regular scanning, not to be confused with the Waterloo selection found in the County systems

neoengel

Getting rid of that .gz file will help correct the problem.

I went to the START menu on my computer and typed HomePatrol Sentinel in the SEARCH box. I looked through the list and deleted the .gz file created on the 19th.

I went to the Sentinel program and forced the database to load, then wrote it to the HomePatrol, this gave me a database date of 09/11/2011 plus all my favorites back again. On a 30 mile range, I receive around 3500 channels including my favorites. Now I'm a happy camper. :)

On the 09/18/2011 HomePatrol download, it was in the neighborhood of 2000 which loaded extremely slow, no favorite lists and a Memory Full error. :(

I absolutely, for sure deleted that Sept 18 file and it was replaced with the week earlier fix file, then connected the device and selected write to home patrol, but the same problem is still there.

Viper43

I have checked for avoids (they show up when cycling through the top level when the lock symbol is on) and even pressed the reset button and tried a different microSD card. I also reloaded the sentinel software to the computer and "Waterloo Region" still doesn't show...

Note: the Waterloo Region selection is found in the (Ontario) Provincial/State systems in the software but does not show in the device's regular scanning, not to be confused with the Waterloo selection found in the County systems

Ok, in Sentinel go to EDIT
select EDIT PROFILE
select Favorites Lists
make sure you have selected DOWNLOAD ON in the favorites list that has WATERLOO REGION in it
Once that is done exit out of the Preference Editor

Then
Select HOMEPATROL (make sure the HP is connected to the computer first)
then select WRITE TO HOME PATROL
Make sure to select ERASE FAVORITES LISTS and FORCE WRITE FULL DATABASE
then let it run
Once done see if WATERLOO REGION is loaded and scanning

Viper43

Sooooo, which step were you missing, just curious.....

And glad you got it back again :)

DonS

I know exactly what your point was Don but your MISSING the point

Apparently, and I apologize for that.

I thought the point was a) having the county name show up along with the site name is very desirable for ease of selection and b) RRDB admins have (in some instances, at least) been removing those county names from the site text.

My attempted response (where I seemed to miss the point) was c) apps that retrieve/convert/present the RRDB can still get the county names from other info in the RRDB site records; the RRDB itself is now better, since redundant (and possibly inconsistent) information has been removed.

Again, I apologize for my confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.