Updated the HomePatrol DataBase - favourite channels no longer available

Status
Not open for further replies.

neoengel

So I did the weekly update for the home patrol and now the option to listen to Waterloo Regional Police has disappeared when I run the scanner.

Seriously, wtf do I do to fix this? Please help!

mciupa

So I did the weekly update for the home patrol and now the option to listen to Waterloo Regional Police has disappeared when I run the scanner.

Seriously, wtf do I do to fix this? Please help!

Hi neoangel. What has been suggested what happened was that the NATIONWIDE category has been expanded tremendously in the RadioReference database. So,now it is taking up more memory than it use to. I'm sure WRPS was bumped off temporarily.

I'm in the same boat too and since my post on the HomePatrol website, they have taken down the database download for the rest of the day so that more people don't run into this problem.

They are working on a fix and we should be able to download a repaired database tomorrow.

If you have a Favorite list with Waterloo try using that for now.

Last edited:

neoengel

Oh wow thanks for the reply, it's easier to get in reach with someone here than on the website :p Up until tonight I've been thinking the HP has been the greatest thing since sliced bread, hopefully I can resume that tomorrow.

I've found out that the entire Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada section (police, transit, etc) does not show up when using the device since the update... I'll be waiting and hoping this is fixed ASAP :p

Cheers.

OCO

At about 9:30 EDT I removed the new database files from this morning, fired up Sentinel and it downloaded last weeks update OK.. We'll probably get an update from UPMan on this...

Probably a bad time to ask Paul if I can get the County names back in the site info:D (kidding, Paul)

Viper43

Actually the county names has nothing to do with Uniden, thats an RR issue and they are lookig at it and possible fix

OCO

Actually the county names has nothing to do with Uniden, thats an RR issue and they are lookig at it and possible fix

In this case, I'm Uniden's customer, not RR's.... and it may take Uniden's asking for a change to the data export to get County info appended to the site location info, if they so desire. These things happen - I lived through 40+ years of it and the best thing to do is to keep smiling and don't be afraid to ask questions..:wink:

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The proper place to request would be in the forums at HomePatrol.com.

But, there is nothing Uniden can do to add the county names in for the system he is asking about (or any systems). The data is not being provided to Uniden (it was just included in the site description, and all those sites have been edited to remove the county name from RRDB). Note that many, if not most, systems have never had this information included for the sites.

Viper43

In this case, I'm Uniden's customer, not RR's.... and it may take Uniden's asking for a change to the data export to get County info appended to the site location info, if they so desire. These things happen - I lived through 40+ years of it and the best thing to do is to keep smiling and don't be afraid to ask questions..:wink:

Here is the thread - http://forums.radioreference.com/database-discussion-forum/221692-data-base-remake.html#post1613523

RR used the county primarily on statewide and multi-state systems and it really helps with those systems

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
The county was manually added to some trunk tower sites (I only ever saw it on Michigan's MPSCS and nowhere else). Hard to justify benefit for re-adding them back in, when:

1. The tower sites have lat/long info which will let you figure out what sites to monitor - you don't need the county in the site text field.
2. If the county name is at the end of the site text field, you can't sort on it. Where it is now, in a separate field, you can do a sort, if you have a reason to do a sort.
3. It adds unnecessary length to the site text field, which some scanners won't be able to handle.
4. You can add the county text to the site text field yourself if you wish.

In order to get county names put back in, you need to make a database submission, not go after Uniden. They're only displaying what the RRDB has to offer. But frankly, I prefer it this way, and I think you will find most people do too. This allows the site to be listed in the county it "belongs" to, not to mention the already-existing geotagging making it relevant to the location it serves.

Viper43

The county was manually added to some trunk tower sites (I only ever saw it on Michigan's MPSCS and nowhere else). Hard to justify benefit for re-adding them back in, when:

It was on every statewide system I looked at, including SAFET and Ohio MARCS. It does make things easier for those who used it. Anyway this is a conversatio better suited to the database thread on the subject.
Oh, it didn't add anything field wise, it was part of the site name....

OCO

Jay:
Its no longer an issue with me.... but:
1. I've got a 200 site system and I get to run through mapping on each one to figure out which ones are close?? I'll just use the RR info instead of doing it all with Sentinel
2. I sampled various states, there was more than just MPSCS. Looking at large systems, you can see the DBs removing the extra info now. In our state, Consumers Energy also had the info.
3. The data was there, the scanners were already handling it..
4. Gee, thanks.

I would not have brought it up if I thought it just benefited me. If you read the threads, you'll note that neither Lindsay nor Paul seemed to be aware of what was occurring in this particular minor impact on the overall upgrade, but there were other comments besides mine. Since then, no one has claimed that the scrubbing of the Site info was based on "orders from HQ" ; I assume it was a logical action the DBAs were taking. Since then, Paul has explained what he can and cannot get from RR; I assumed that he could specify what he wanted from the RR export (and change it if he saw the need). All I did was ask for consideration to put some info back that I had used in the past. It's not a big thing..

Paul - I'm good with it all now.. I'm sure that all would agree that change management can be a b&*^%.... :D

DonS

Each site has (as of DB interface versions 7 and 9, at least) a "siteCtid" field. That field, appropriately populated, links back to a DB county record. The county record has a text name and a FIPS value.

For example, in the Colorado DTRS, the "Franktown" site has a siteCtid of 258. That links back to a DB county record for:
countyName = "Douglas"
fips = 008035 (state 008, county 035)

If any 3rd party software wants/needs the county name for a TRS site, it's probably available in the DB structures - as long as the site's long-existing field has been appropriately populated.

EDIT: even my "old local system", one with just a single site, has a siteCtid correctly populated with 225 - a value that links right back to a good "county name" and state/county FIPS values.

Last edited:

Viper43

Don,
This won't help inn this case. The way it was set up the county was part of the site name such as Greenfield,Hancock so when planning a trip I could open Delorme, map my route and have all the counties listed and through FreeScan or Sentinel I could go through and lock out all sites not on my route. To do that now I would have to have 3 or more programs open and so would be the RR DB so I can check each site and county. Basically it will add a lot time to do the same thing that took an hour before would now take 30 to 60 minutes more and thats assuming I won't loose mmy connection....It's so much easier to have the site have the county with it for that type of thing, especially for those in business where they travel a lot.

Viper43

How much time would it take to plug in a GPS?

Thats not the point Jay..... sometimes you don't have enough GPS units for all the radios either... I have traveled with 7 scanners going at once on long trips, 3 using GPS, but not ALL scanners can use GPS anyway.....

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I just spent 2 weeks traveling about 2000 miles over a huge island province and only needed one scanner with GPS enabled. When I did have a second scanner running, I just set the location to the closest applicable city every now and then.

I have only one more thing to say in this conversation before I wrap it up, and that's: I hope you are not the one driving when you're messing around with 7 scanners.

Status
Not open for further replies.