Updates to Birmingham Police

Status
Not open for further replies.

medic9351301

Banned
The Birmingham police section has been updated to reflect the new changes made.
It does not look good. This info is 100 percent correct form a inside source.

Julian1

Just as we see news that some agencies are opening comms from encryption for transparency.
Must say though... certain channels (Narc and Stakeouts should encrypt).

I wondered what happened to all the traffic. Now we know. Thanks for posting!!

medic9351301

Banned
i agree with you 100 percent no classic traffic this year. they used event channels

bearcat780

Any news on if dispatch will remain open as is? I have to agree some encryption is necessary as they probably had stuff in the clear that shouldn't be in this day and age.
Also, this must be due to them getting ready to move to the AFRN and going full P25. (and the new APX series)
I know big M had a job posting for a system manager in B-ham recently.

medic9351301

Banned
the four main precinct channels are open as well as the jail and wrecker dispatch.
according to my source . the fire will remain clear both dispatch and tacs.
they are going phase one. he told me there is no mandate to go phase 2 .
up until the past year the jefferson county system was not even phase 1 its still a mixed mode system.
there are agencies still usiing analog .
and with do time they system will merge over to the AFRN.
my guess it will just be a 800 to 700 patch but i might be wrong here.

medic9351301

Banned
bob. its suppose to be a statewide system so all agencies can talk from all areas of the state. they have upgraded the radios for birmingham fire and police. i have heard traffic from madison county on the birmingham 700 site on the telvue tower in west birmingham. the only draw back i see is that you can not hear the entire state on the system. i think it will be a good thing to move all agencies in jefferson county to 800 mhz. as for encp. just going to have to live with it. they have upgraded the system its much more a clear signal. espc homewood no background noise at all.
see the post birmingham pd new radios

morganAL

It is that way by design. There is no need to tie channels up in Birmingham with traffic from all over the state. If a unit roams into that area that's different than just just broadcasting everything from all over the state.

Everything is configured so most talkgroups don't roam from one region to another. There are a few exceptions but by far, talkgroups from one area do not roam to other areas even if a user has a radio on the talkgroup.

the only draw back i see is that you can not hear the entire state on the system.

emcom

I will second Morgan. When my EMA business takes me to the Clanton or Montgomery sites, I can't use SCAN at all and some talk groups show "OUT OF RANGE" when trying to listen to them.
I also do part time small town police work. We have a couple of officers that live in Morgan's area. They don't affiliate with his towers when at home so as to keep from tying up his repeaters. They certainly couldn't scan if that ever were to happen. At a minimum, most of our guys scan our small town police channel, the nearby small town police channel, Madison County SO Patrol1, Patrol 2, Records, Madison Co. Fire dispatch, our VFD's private fire talk group, EMA EOC, and usually one Huntsville PD talk group. That would be a lot of activity on one of Morgan's towers if that were to happen. He would have several of his trunked channels tied up with Madison Co. traffic and his users might get a busy when trying to access the system depending on how many trunked channels he has at the site in question.

Last edited:
I guess I'm just confused about the push to be on a statewide system when you can't hear the whole state on the system or roam.

I understand it's that way by design and I understand why, but with that in mind what's the benefit of having a statewide system?

Is there any provision for interop on the AFRN? I've had the opportunity to check out a BPD radio and I didn't see any kind of interop channels.

emcom

Bob,

In a disaster, Baldwin Co. (hurricane response) can allow our units on their system, as can most anyone else with a 700/800 P25 system. I was just speaking about routine use above.
We do have interoperable channels on our radios. Some local agencies had their radios set up in 2012 before we became a statewide system and therefore don't have the "statewide" mutual aid talk groups programmed in, but they do have some standard national channels. That could be changed tho by programming the radio with the up to date template.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
OTAP great thing on the ASTRO-25 Systems! No need to actually bring in HT or Mobiles to the shop for touching. Just OTAP it and roll on!

arturobandini

What a drag. I only started listening a few months ago. Hopefully, dispatch won't go encrypted.

The Birmingham police section has been updated to reflect the new changes made.
It does not look good. This info is 100 percent correct form a inside source.

Tracker44

Hello, what are the jail and wrecker frequencies ????
I am just trying to keep as many good Bham frequencies up to date as I can..
I may have a few good dispatch frequiencies , but not really sure at this point.
TNX again

Last edited:

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Nope not p25 yet. Still legacy 3600 nps Motorola type II mixed analog/digital. When the full conversion to AFRN happens then they will be on an p25 system.

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.