Upgrades for the DXing Digital Utilities wiki article

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I have just completed an exhaustive analysis of the logs from the UDXF (Utility DXers Forum) for all the digital modes used from Jan 2018 to July 2018 (the August logs are not yet available). The purpose of this was to update all the modes articles (active, inactive and those used by the CIS-or Russian Federation, if you like) and remove those that haven't been reported in a long time. In addition, those only seem on a sporadic basis have been isolated and identified.

This is nowhere near as comprehensive as it could be, as some folks write modes with a slight typo which tends to defeat a good search engine (i.e. CIS-12 vs. CIS 12). And it's only one source, but it does show clear trends as to what modes are used and what isn't. The biggest one, to no one's surprise, is 2G ALE, or MIL-STD-188-141A. More than 200 logs of this mode showed up in most months of that period.

In addition, as mentioned earlier, the hardware, software and links pages from Mike Chace-Ortiz's site that was shut down recently have been absorbed into the document. They are all available from the HF Appendix chapter of the document. You will not find a more comprehensive listing of HF mode decoding packages (non-ham) anywhere.

I could use a hand with using a second source for the modes - I don't subscribe to Spectrum Monitor right now (unemployment sucks), so if someone were to review their logs and let me know - via PM, if possible - which mode(s) should be moved around (a mode in the sporadic section should be moved, for example). This would help increase the accuracy of the articles.

The link for the document is in my sig line. Comments welcome

Mike

SDRPlayer

Premium Subscriber
That's a big effort and much appreciated! Thank you Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.