Upman, x36HP audio delay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
The x36HP scanners have a bit of an audio delay, analog and digital, that makes listening to them in a mixed scanner/Motorola environment bit irritating. I am used to a bit of audio delay due to the DSP in my Motorola Astro equipment, but was surprised by the fact that the x36HP's have an even longer audio delay, so with mixed scanners and Motorolas, you get audio echoes at three different intervals. This can be quite distracting in a news room on the assignment desk.

If there is a way to fine tune this and bring it in line with the XT series in future firmware revisions, or even ensure the delay is mitigated in future models, it would be greatly appreciated. I know it is a small thing, but for those of us tasked with jobs that rely on listening to many tings at once, an echo is very hard to deal with.

Paul

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Would refining which radios and scanners are scanning which channels be helpful? Other than for being absolutely sure you don't miss anything, it sounds like you've hurt yourself with multiple receiving devices listening to the same channel.

kd7kdc

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Delay is a normal part of new radio systems it is produced as the original audio is processed through the Digital Signal Processor. Even multi thousand dollar Motorola radios have this delay for the same reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I understand the DSP part of delaying analog audio, had a real bad case of it on our county XTS3000's due to ancient firmware. Once the firmware was updated, the delay is not as horrible. The XT scanners, as well as the RS, GRE, and even the new TRX series, all match the audio delay on digital of a Motorola Astro, yet the HP's retain and even longer delay, making them hard to integrate into any existing system. If it doesn't hurt the reception capabilities of the scanner, it really should be a goal to achieve as little a delay, or matching other scanners/radios, as possible.

Paul

Ubbe

Strange, I have no delay on analog channels with the BCD536 and other scanners. I have almost the same scanlists in all scanners and often receive the same conversation on multiple scanners.

Even with DMR digital listening it is the same delay on BCD536 as TRX-2 and MD380.

But if one scanner listens on the same conversation but on a different site, then the echo is noticable and irritating but has nothing to do with the receivers having different proccessing time, it's a system infrastructure issue.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.