UPman's Avatar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

b52hbuff

I have been on the site for a while, but have been on a recent hiatus. I know that UPman has used his avatar to generate excitement for a new product.

Does anyone know the relevance of the VFA-31 logo as his current avatar?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VFA-31

b52hbuff

No relationship to VFA-31 intended at all.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felix_the_Cat

Ha! Glad to see you back after your health issue. Always appreciated your effort to promote the hobby and your candor on these boards.

Truly loving my SDS100. It is amazing how far you've pushed the hobby since the BC-246T.

I remember my first "magical" experience when I took my BC-245XLT and it trunk tracked the Disneyland 900MHz system. Prior to that, I was just listening to whatever came across the voice channels. It was like drinking from a fountain hose.

My second "magical" experience was when I took my SDS100 to Great America, and the Mototrbo/DMR frequency that would have signaled another unmonitorable system came alive with audio traffic.

Anyway, thanks again.

So the next question... Why Felix? ;)

Ubbe

I think the cat is a metaphor for Upman. The cat has X's in his eyes that in cartoons means death but they are not covering the whole eye as they usually do, they are only little X's. So not quite half dead the cat struts along and whistles, looking confident and positive and regardless of how much you toss a cat up in the air he always lands on all four paws and escapes from every tricky situation and he can always trust on those seven lives to keep him going. I think that's how Upman looks at himself.

/Ubbe

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I think the cat is a metaphor for Upman. The cat has X's in his eyes that in cartoons means death but they are not covering the whole eye as they usually do, they are only little X's. So not quite half dead the cat struts along and whistles, looking confident and positive and regardless of how much you toss a cat up in the air he always lands on all four paws and escapes from every tricky situation and he can always trust on those seven lives to keep him going. I think that's how Upman looks at himself.

/Ubbe

Now he's gonna want a raise!

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
I think it's a jab at the Whistler "cat's out of the bag" thread...but I could be wrong.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Probably has to do with the theme song lyric - "Felix the Cat, the most wonderful wonderful cat...whenever he is in a fix he reaches into his bag of tricks"

Without a doubt, Mr. Paul must have a bottomless bag of tricks ;)

D

DaveNF2G

Maybe he's been playing Words With Friends, although their mystery boxes are a lot fancier.

Status
Not open for further replies.