UPS Freq.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BIODTL1997

Premium Subscriber
Do they even use radios? I wouldn't think they would need any particular communications once they load their trucks and hit their route. You talking about the logistics center/warehouse?

Sybex7254

Feeder (tractor trailer) drivers use cell phone and are equipped with GPS tracking. I believe they still have CB radio's too.

The hub's themselves have radios for coordination of the packager sorting, loading and unloading as well as Yard Control. Not sure what they are. When I worked at the Secaucus hub over 20 years ago they had UHF handheld radios and a low powered site repeater. I'm sure today this will vary from site to site based on the size of the hub, etc.

BIODTL1997

Premium Subscriber
yeah, if anything, you'll probably only hear facilities personnel and maybe security. Probably not even worth programming.

GM

Premium Subscriber
UPS uses UHF and CB freqs (with the tractor trailers [I think Ch. 34]) very much so. I believe that the plan listed here at the bottom of the page: Businesses Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference is also applicable to the other plants in the NJ area as I have heard them in the Secaucus area with the same tone codes. And on a un-related note, if you want evening/late night entertainment, try programming the FedEx freqs listed if you are in the listening area.

n5ims

27MHz AM CB is still used? By a global corporation nonetheless?

yuck

Yes, probably more common than you might think. It allows the company to easily communicate with contract drivers (think owner-operator here) very easily, especially on a short term contract basis. Standard 27 MHz AM CB is almost as common on big rigs as cell phones (and the use is allowed by more company policies while on the road than those cell phones). They often need to add lots of drivers for short term contracts during certain high volume seasons (think the Christmas delivery season here) and by the time they installed all of those company radios in the extra trucks the season would be over (and they'd still need to remove them!).

That "yucky" radio not only allows the dispatcher to communicate with the trucks in the yard, but also allows the other trucks to hear so they know to keep the path clear to "dock 17" when they tell a driver to pull in there for their load. Had they used a cell phone, only the dispatched truck would know. Had they used a part-90 company radio, only company drivers would know. By using a standard CB channel (often detailed on a sign at the yard entrance) not only those "special" drivers will know, but also all of the contract drivers (perhaps even those that work for other companies that share the lot) will know as well.

Last edited:

Darkstar350

From what i gather UPS drivers mainly use their barcode scanner device which also is a text messaging system as well as a GPS
Maybe once upon a time certain UPS trucks may have been on some private carrier business trunk systems but more recently aside from the quallcomms and the like they have some nation wide "business band" frequencies and other low power radios most likely for sorting facilities or trucks to talk to the loading docks,etc ...
http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/license.jsp?licKey=1771897

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
I hear the Stratford, Ct. UPS sorting facility comms from my location. All using simplex. It almost sounds like there is one "base" unit utilizing an antenna maybe on top of the building besides the handhelds. Probably a mobile unit on low power with a power supply set up on a desk, or just a portable radio with the rooftop antenna connected to it. They are about 8 miles from me "as the crow flies".
https://www.freemaptools.com/how-far-is-it-between.htm
I hear the portables very good even though the licenses say the power used is 2 Watts.

Frequencies I have heard:
452.7125 D612
457.7875 D612
457.8875 D612
467.5125 D612

Licensed but I have not heard:

They actually get very entertaining to monitor starting about this time of the year. Especially early in the morning when all of the overnight tractor trailers arrive.
Bob

ecps92

Keep in-mind many of those old MO (Portable) licenses at 2-5 Watts were/are actually Repeaters. Long prior to the FB2 requirement as they were LP
I hear the Stratford, Ct. UPS sorting facility comms from my location. All using simplex. It almost sounds like there is one "base" unit utilizing an antenna maybe on top of the building besides the handhelds. Probably a mobile unit on low power with a power supply set up on a desk, or just a portable radio with the rooftop antenna connected to it. They are about 8 miles from me "as the crow flies".
https://www.freemaptools.com/how-far-is-it-between.htm
I hear the portables very good even though the licenses say the power used is 2 Watts.

Frequencies I have heard:
452.7125 D612
457.7875 D612
457.8875 D612
467.5125 D612

Licensed but I have not heard:

They actually get very entertaining to monitor starting about this time of the year. Especially early in the morning when all of the overnight tractor trailers arrive.
Bob

RBFD415

So, anybody know what's used at the Eatontown /Tinton Falls UPS facility? It's a fairly large hub.

Ref CB, last winter I was pretty surprised to hear as many companies popping up on CB with snow plow operations! So yes, it is still used, but at least around hear it seems specific to certain conditions.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
So, anybody know what's used at the Eatontown /Tinton Falls UPS facility? It's a fairly large hub.

Ref CB, last winter I was pretty surprised to hear as many companies popping up on CB with snow plow operations! So yes, it is still used, but at least around hear it seems specific to certain conditions.

Search through the pages here
Callsigns for FCC FRN: 0006235527 (United Parcel Service)
and find the town you are looking for and then click on the callsign link to get the rest of the frequencies for the license.
Let us know how you make out
Bob

RBFD415

I can confirm as of today- 451.9375 with DPL 612 in use at the Eatontown UPS facility. I'll continue to monitor to see if I can catch additional frequencies in use. If anybody wants to note it in the DB?

Status
Not open for further replies.