US to pay up to $160,000,000 to buy radios for Mexican LEAs?!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

C138NC

Tactical Taco Consumer
Mmmm I can see our economy going down further and further and further..... well in that case... congress.. I would like an HT1250 VHF LS along with an XTS5000 800Mhz FPP..... oh hey if you could... maybe you could throw in a whole box of radios and Ill choose the ones of my liking and you can have the rest....

N467RX

Panama DB Admin
Database Admin
For some reason I'm pretty sure the Army and Federal Police are running on 380MHz TETRA.

The corruption levels on the Army and Federal Police (PF) are among the lowest in the nation (and they are rotated often around the country), and that's why they are being quite effective on that task.

One issue that surfaced years ago was that drug cartels were getting radios programmed into the police frequencies and threatening them (and hearing them), of course, cities with high budgets (like San Pedro Garza Garcia, NL) had digital equipment and that rarely happened.

This is also a huge PR (like when the US helped Colombia in the 1990s), because with aid from Plan Merida, all of the money from purchases really goes back to the US (things like the Blackhawks), so you help the economy and get involved in a huge PR.

If the US government gives these radios to every agency or citizen in the country, then people would cry communism, but I guess in this case it's somewhat different.

And I'm not sure "what's wrong"with the current system, if I recall correctly, they run TETRA, or at least the PF does, so they're either getting new equipment to replace old/damaged ones, or, the army doesn't run TETRA and might get it (I won't be surprised if they do have some form of interoperability or mutual aid, since the Army does operate in conjunction with the PF sometimes).

And companies like GM make a lot of money from this too. They sell Silverados to the Army and Escalades to the cartels. Same with Ford, they sell F-150s to the PF and Mark LTs to the cartels.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
It's probably for interoperability between the U.S. and Mexico to fight drug wars, and terrorist invasions. And what will eventually become the New World Order.

2009KVFD976

All i ask for is an HT1250 VHF full keypad. with 2 impress batteries and charger, PMMN4021 speaker mic and RLN4883 car charger. Even if its used!! As long as it all works. Maybe... $250-$300 at the most.

Cowthief

Hello.

I was noted for working on the radio system in Nuevo Laredo.
That was until somebody shot out the back window of the police truck I was riding in, only minor injuries.
Not that it really mattered, just a month later someone drove a pickup loaded with explosives and fuel into the police station.
The Mexicans do not care if I were to carry a bazooka at this point, but the US side has concerns.
I would have to file export paperwork to carry a firearm outside of the US, and an import permit to bring it back, as well as follow all federal requirements.
And, yes, TETRA II is in use, Kenwood is the major player.
As far as radios go, I picked up well over 200, TWO HUNDRED VHF mid split Astro Sabre talkies that are now on CAP, all old police radios.
I have several full consoles of radios.
All of this is part of the new narrow banding.
I find this funny as this is after the big re banding.
There is now a big push to put all of law enforcement on 700MHz.
So radios are now being disposed of, ask around to see what you can find.
Finally, the US wants to have a direct contact with the Mexican counterparts, and are willing to pay for it.
160 million US bucks? As long as the rich do not pay for it, somehow it is OK.

canav844

Let's hope they've been to Radioshack since their GPS tracking adventure, and send replacement batteries this time.
While they're handing out cash I'll take an IC-9011T VHF FPP
Is there a reason we can't let other countries handle their own infrastructure and focus on what needs to be taken care of in this country. Even if they wanted to spend that much on radios for politics, fund narrowbanding, put in infrastructure in the US, like a federal trunked system to get overloaded in times of need, with it's own digital format for interoperability.

Status
Not open for further replies.