USB-1 Hard coding Comm Port

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9JIG

Sheriff
A while back there were posts with a utility that was able to hard-code a Comm Port number to the GRE/RS USB programming cables. It worked great.

Is there a utility or a way to do the same for the Uniden USB-1 cable? I have a bunch plugged into a couple of USB hubs and if I plug one into a different USB port on the same computer it changes the Comm Port number. While I can change that in Device Manager it is tedious when I have up to 20 of them.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
A while back there were posts with a utility that was able to hard-code a Comm Port number to the GRE/RS USB programming cables. It worked great.

Do you happen to have a link to the post about the GRE/RS utility. That sounds interesting.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Do you happen to have a link to the post about the GRE/RS utility. That sounds interesting.
I spent an hour this morning looking for it and cannot locate it. If I do I will post it. IIRC it was at least 5 years ago that it made it to the Forums but I searched the RS, GRE and Whistlers ones and did not locate it.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I spent an hour this morning looking for it and cannot locate it. If I do I will post it. IIRC it was at least 5 years ago that it made it to the Forums but I searched the RS, GRE and Whistlers ones and did not locate it.

Thanks for trying. I've also been doing some Google searches for it but have come up empty.

kruser

Premium Subscriber

Got it! I remember this now. I also had several of the old blue or orange adapters from RS and GRE and had to use that mprog program to rename one of the IDs in the FTDI chipset. I don't know why I did not think about that as I still have several of those hooked to this machine to this day, all with different IDs.
In addition to the RS and GRE branded adapters, I also have a dozen or so different FTDI based adapters with DB9 connectors that are regular RS-232 for Unidens and some Icom stuff.
The orange or blue RS/GRE models work directly with Icom rigs using the rigs CI-V interface also.
All those on this machine use different IDs for ProScan use as well as Pro96com. I marked them all with the new ID plus made a cheat sheet printout so I would not forget what was hooked to what. Not a single one of them has ever failed me.
The only issue I still run into is some of the older programs I run are hard coded to only use the original COM 1 to COM 4 ports.

I wish I had an answer for the Uniden USB-1 cable. If it is FTDI based, the MPROG program should still work fine.
I don't have a USB-1 cable though so no idea what chipset it uses.

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

In Windows you can go to Device Manager, right click on the USB Serial Port, and select Properties. Go to the Port Settings tab and click on the Advanced button. You can set the COM Port Number at the bottom of the Advanced Settings dialog.

You would have to put the USB Serial Port device into each USB Port and change the settings each time. It may complain that the port is in use, but you can override it.

73 Eric

N9JIG

Sheriff
Hello,

In Windows you can go to Device Manager, right click on the USB Serial Port, and select Properties. Go to the Port Settings tab and click on the Advanced button. You can set the COM Port Number at the bottom of the Advanced Settings dialog.

You would have to put the USB Serial Port device into each USB Port and change the settings each time. It may complain that the port is in use, but you can override it.

73 Eric

That is exactly what I am trying to avoid. With 14 USB-1 cables in my current system if I use a different USB port the Comm Port numbers change, if I plug the hub into a different port on the PC then ALL the comm port numbers change.

I want to hard-code the comm port number to the hardware like one could with the RS/GRE cables.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
PS - That utility will work with the PL-2303 HXD chip, but you'll need a 5v to 6.5v USB adapter to program the EEPROM.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
The USB-1 cable uses the Prolific chip, same as the popular TRENDnet TU-S9 USB-to-Serial Converter.

Try this, see if it works: http://www.prolific.com.tw/UserFiles/files/PL2303TA-HXD-EA_EEWriter_v2200.zip

Perfect! I never knew Prolific had an eeprom tool available so thanks very much for this. In addition to FTDI adapters, I also have plenty of Prolific based adapters where this will come in very handy. Now off to build the correct power supply needed to enable programming the things.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
@N9JIG It's been a few weeks since I posted that link, yet you haven't replied or acknowledged it. Is that not what you were looking for?

cmdrwill

Similar problem, the USB hotspot moves when I plug in the SD card reader. The hotspot is on the USB2.0 'buss'. XP OS.
So I loose the hotspot/internet when the card reader is plugged in the next port,

Status
Not open for further replies.