• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

USB Aux port for automotive, OEM look

Status
Not open for further replies.

N2JDS

Premium Subscriber

Thayne

Premium Subscriber
what are you trying to do with it? It seems to me that anything in your car that has use for a USB would have a convenient port available. If all you are going do do is charge something they do make those, but some phones, etc only like accessories by the same company in order to make more $$

N2JDS

Premium Subscriber
USB is 5 volts, plugging a standard USB device into a 12v USB port will likely not end well.
Yes, a USB is 5 volts, that is common knowledge, at least on the level of most people here. I personally have never heard of a 12 volt USB port, just ports that use 12 volts and reduce down to 5 volts.
The question was more geared towards someone who would have a lead on aftermarket OEM look installs of a USB port for power accessory. These days more and more devices are powered by a USB port, so why take up a cig plug with a phone charger, when a USB port is smaller and cleaner.

CoolCat

Premium Subscriber
I'm looking for a DIY USB port/s to put in my vehicle. Anybody know of a place that sells a kit that would just insert and lock in place, then just wired to 12 volt? Closest I've found to what I'm looking for is How To: Install a USB Charger/Connection Port in a Factory Blank - Page 3 - Tacoma World Forums
Don't want an under dash or unprofessional look, so thought I'd do it right. Thanks if you can help.
I doubt you will find an OEM USB port pre-made for your car (or any car for that matter), but there are plenty of panel mount USB ports available that you could use to make your own custom USB power ports.

Digi-key (and other sites) sell a variety of panel mount ports including "bulkhead" types that mount in a simple circular hole. This would be the easiest way to do it and would probably yield the cleanest (most OEM-like) look.

You'll need to find (or make) a suitable power supply as well. You could use the "guts" from a standard cig lighter adapter, but a better idea would be to hardwire a higher quality regulated 5v POL (point of load) power supply like the Opus DCL11.

Good luck :)

W2PMX

Don't want an under dash or unprofessional look, so thought I'd do it right. Thanks if you can help.
The "professionals" at the Honda factory solve that in the Civic by having a 5 volt USB female on about 10" of wire coming out of the floor inside the console (with a little clip to hold it when you're not using it). If that's "professional", probably anything you do will look "super-professional" by comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.