usb hub

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
I've been using this one for about a year and its yet to let me down. I run anywhere from 8 to 10 SDRs at a time. 5 airspys are always connected and I run 3 to 5 extra SDR Dongles as well on any given day. This one works great and is yet to let me down it is also able to be mounted to the back of a desk or under it with 3 or 4 small screws.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07BPCCFP1/ref=psdcmw_281413_t1_B076HLY2L9

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Cheaper ones will give you trouble. I tried a 7 port $25 one and it would not carry the load and had constant crashes.
The load was 4 scanners 9600 baud and 3 USB audio cards I tried 3 and would have drops reboots nothing but trouble.

DRL-XM43

Cheaper ones will give you trouble. I tried a 7 port $25 one and it would not carry the load and had constant crashes.
The load was 4 scanners 9600 baud and 3 USB audio cards I tried 3 and would have drops reboots nothing but trouble.

I agree, the cheaper ones are not good - I bought a cheaper 7 port powered hub and it did nothing but create bad effects with the tuners, the most bizarre was it cross linked two of the dongles and the software was controlling 2 instead of the one selected, also packet losses were extreme. Bad news and a waste of $30 bucks.

In the end I used 2 - 4 port, un-powered but good quality - I run them in USB 2.00 ports because my dongles don't like USB 3.00 so much.

The un-powered work good for me because I use my laptop outside and on road trips so not having to have power for the hubs is good and also it is easy to scale back to 4 ports if that is all I need when being portable.

Last edited:

morfis

I use a bunch of Anker powered USB3 hubs. Not as cheap as the amazon basics, not as expensive as some of the other options.

Some are the 'vertically' stacked ports (ie. long edge above long edge) and some 'horizontally'. In both layouts there are problems with some types of 'dongles' (all work fine if short extension leads are used to connect alternate dongles such as you have with an Airspy R2 or SDRplay). I found the same to be true of most other types.

Photos might make my waffle clearer!

Horizontal layout: nooelec dongles will fit next to each other in each slot but wider types such as the rtl-sdr.com ones won't
_D722786.jpg
The weight of the dongles is pulling them down and I'd recommend supporting them in this layout.

Vertical type: neither nooelec or rtl-sdr.com can be used directly in each slot and alternate ones need to be fitted using a short extension
_D722785.jpg
Though the rtl-sdr ones might look almost ok above they are actually forcing each other apart and thus stressing the socket.
A 'standard' usb plug will fit into the socket between the nooelec ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.