USB Ports

Status
Not open for further replies.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
It took a Masters Degree to figure out where to post this...and I still don't know if its correct or not?:lol:

Anyhow, I have one 4 port USB hub now; One end connects into the computer and 4 hubs, all being used. When I need to download or do any such work with my 436 or 536, I have to unplug the Back Up Drive to use the Port.

I want to buy another Hub, either 4 or 7 ports. I just have a few questions:

-- Does it matter if the Hub is powered or not as far as my Scanner use is concerned?

-- Can I use 1.1 and/or 2.0 equipment in a 3.0 port?

-- If I only have a 2.0 port, can 3.0 devices still work? I really do not care about lower speed; I am not copying the Library of Congress or any such thing. Just a few scanners.

Thank you. Any brands would be appreciated as well. Greg

RDGDigital

It took a Masters Degree to figure out where to post this...and I still don't know if its correct or not?:lol:

Anyhow, I have one 4 port USB hub now; One end connects into the computer and 4 hubs, all being used. When I need to download or do any such work with my 436 or 536, I have to unplug the Back Up Drive to use the Port.

I want to buy another Hub, either 4 or 7 ports. I just have a few questions:

-- Does it matter if the Hub is powered or not as far as my Scanner use is concerned?

-- If I only have a 2.0 port, can 3.0 devices still work? I really do not care about lower speed; I am not copying the Library of Congress or any such thing. Just a few scanners.

Thank you. Any brands would be appreciated as well. Greg

No, it does not matter if the Hub is powered or not as far as your Scanner is concerned. However, I'd still recommend you get a powered Hub in order to protect your computer's power supply (especially if it's a laptop computer).

Yes.

Yes.

CapStar362

No, it does not matter if the Hub is powered or not as far as your Scanner is concerned. However, I'd still recommend you get a powered Hub in order to protect your computer's power supply (especially if it's a laptop computer).

to further elaborate on the Powered portion.

its better to have a powered hub because if for some reason a device or set of devices exceeds the rated amperage for a single USB Port, it will reset that port, and cause data loss if active data is being transferred.

if it surges... it will blow the fusible link protecting that usb port and that port will now be dead, and most likely a board replacement to fix it, if you do not have soldering skills.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
RDGDIGITAL and CAPSTAR362: Thank you for the replies and help. I never actually knew what a powered hub did, and now I do.

I have a 4 port hub, and the only thing I could disconnect was the Back up drive, which I did not like doing.

I don't know what to say except THANKS! I will look for one today. Have a great weekend. Greg

greggk

Premium Subscriber
That was just what I needed, and it was Amazon Prime, so I get it Saturday for free! Amazon Prime was the best deal I ever found.

I appreciate your help. You saved me from hours of looking, reading, etc etc. I sincerely thank you. Greg

CapStar362

hey no problem, sorry for the late reply, i have been extremely busy helping my brother finish his man cave basement.

Status
Not open for further replies.