USB to Serial Reccomendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

bamx2

I just acquired a KPC-3+ and am looking to start setting it up. Does anyone have a recommendation of a serial to usb converter that will work well this this system? I apologize if this has been asked, it is hard to search "usb" on the forum due to the commonality of the term. Thanks.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Get an RS-232 to USB converter that uses the FTDI chip. You will also find converters using the Prolific chip, but they can be a bit of a problem. The Prolific chip has been cloned and the Prolific drivers don't always work properly with the cloned chips.

You'll also need to convert from the DB-9 connector that most RS-232 to USB converters have to a DB-25 connector for the KPC3+. There are adapters and adapter cables available to do that, but they are getting hard to find. Check with a big online computer cable retailer like Cables2Go or Monoprice.

bamx2

Appriciate it. Making a basket now. Is there a non-aprs packet presence here in Central Ind?

morganAL

I prefer the Edgeport series from Digi. The driver software can be configured to make the device the same COM port number irregardless of which USB port it is plugged into. If you have a GPS connected to the devices with the Prolific chipset, Windows will usually enumerate it as a serial mouse and make the cursor jump madly around the screen. The Digi models do not do this.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I prefer the Edgeport series from Digi. The driver software can be configured to make the device the same COM port number irregardless of which USB port it is plugged into.
Yes, Digi makes very good RS-232 to USB converters. A little price, though.

Edgeport - USB-to-serial converters - Digi International

If you have a GPS connected to the devices with the Prolific chipset, Windows will usually enumerate it as a serial mouse and make the cursor jump madly around the screen.

The Microsoft COMdisable tool will fix this with some versions of Windows. See the following:

Overview of the COMDisable Tool

I believe Windows 7 requires a Windows Registry fix to address this.

morganAL

Yes, Digi makes very good RS-232 to USB converters. A little price, though.

The Microsoft COMdisable tool will fix this with some versions of Windows. See the following:

Overview of the COMDisable Tool

I believe Windows 7 requires a Windows Registry fix to address this.

Yes, the Digi units are a little pricey but they seem to be one of the better options.

I've had mixed results with COMDisable. Registry is one way or it can be done through Group Policy too. Neither method is a trivial task and sometimes takes more than one attempt to get it right. The agency I work for has fought with this since Windows 7 came out and MDTs were upgraded to Win 7.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
I bought one from Staples, and it works quite well with my Motorola XTS3000 and MTS2000, and we all know how finicky Motorola software is!

KC8ESL

Premium Subscriber
What about the good ol' Iomega GUC232A? You can still find them on amazon and microcenter-type sites.

I haven't found anything it won't work with to date.

jeatock

Premium Subscriber
We've been using the Quatech SSU-100's on XP for a couple of years. No issues even with Mother's old programs running in a DOS window. Bought them at Provantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.