USCG moitoring in eastern NC

Status
Not open for further replies.

peten1vak

Premium Subscriber
I am trying to monitor the Coast Guard in the Pitt County North Carolina area. I have the VHF marine channels programmed in and CG – 113. Once in a while I hear some encrypted transmissions on CG – 113." I think I must be missing something on the frequencies or is it just that there isn't much Coast Guard traffic in this area?. Can anyone point me in the direction of a link or anything that can help me monitor the Coast Guard would be greatly appreciated.

I am also trying to figure out how to monitor the Coast Guard on Cothen. The information I have come across so far is kind of confusing. Is it just a matter of punching in the HF frequencies in listening?

ecps92

Put in all the UHF and VHF LMR Channels, not just 113
United States Coast Guard - The RadioReference Wiki

There could be traffic on the others.
I am trying to monitor the Coast Guard in the Pitt County North Carolina area. I have the VHF marine channels programmed in and CG – 113. Once in a while I hear some encrypted transmissions on CG – 113." I think I must be missing something on the frequencies or is it just that there isn't much Coast Guard traffic in this area?. Can anyone point me in the direction of a link or anything that can help me monitor the Coast Guard would be greatly appreciated.

I am also trying to figure out how to monitor the Coast Guard on Cothen. The information I have come across so far is kind of confusing. Is it just a matter of punching in the HF frequencies in listening?

medic611

The closer you live to the shoreline the more you can hear. CH 16 is always active with bulletins and alerts, and when i lived in Wilmington many other channels were active especially with State Port traffic.

RohnsRadio

Premium Subscriber
you will not hear much on cg113 and what is there is P-25 and some is encrypted. when you do hear anything it is strong.

try listening to Ch 23A and Ch 83A I hear lots of traffic on those channels

peten1vak

Premium Subscriber
Update

Thank you for all your responses. I put in all of the frequencies that everybody stated and now some things that come to life. Yesterday 8/16/16 at 1541 I heard the Coast Guard Helo searching the Pamlico River for an overturned boat. The traffic was loud and clear on 345.0. I could not hear the other end of the conversation I can only hear the helicopter. Does anybody have any idea where they transmit out of for this area? I have a quarter wave ground plane about 40 feet near I think I may have to put up a discone.

kc4jgc

Peter, keep in mind you're in Greenville, not exactly that close to the coast. Any USCG traffic you hear will likely be from the helos.

GamecockSJ

Depends if he's got a good outdoor antenna. I've never scanned the CG but I can get as far as Morehead City PD at my house in Winterville. I also can get a hit from Tidewater EMC's tower in Engelhard every now and then.

kc4jgc

Depends if he's got a good outdoor antenna. I've never scanned the CG but I can get as far as Morehead City PD at my house in Winterville. I also can get a hit from Tidewater EMC's tower in Engelhard every now and then.

That's it; you're hearing repeaters.... In Peter's scenario, he's hearing the helo because it's in the air a few hundred feet talking to to a vessel on the river. If he wants to hear traffic on the sounds or the ocean he's going to be disappointed except maybe during tropo ducting.

Status
Not open for further replies.