USCG Rid's ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I have noticed that they do not display radio id's like every other agency does. Does anyone out there see rid's when these guys are chatting? I am on Long Island...

Thanks

ecps92

Seems to depend on who programmed the Radio
Yes - we have seen them here in Boston/New England
i580xxxx, i581xxxx - Mostly
i524xxxx - odd ducks
i379xxxx - Aircraft
I have noticed that they do not display radio id's like every other agency does. Does anyone out there see rid's when these guys are chatting? I am on Long Island...

Thanks

kb4cvn

Silent Key
Nowhere near a paved road, away from the maddening
Why does the Coast Guard do this? Makes it harder to keep track of which radio keyed up in an emergency.

All the USCG [P25] radios I have ever seen had EMERGENCY disabled. No need for it.

35 miles off shore, stopping a vessel, who ELSE you gonna call? Enforcement units, especially since 09-11-2001 are quite well armed. Everyone has a sidearm, everyone has a M4 Rifle, and usually one or more M240B belt-fed machine guns are mounted in their patrol boat.

Totally operational environment than your average public safety user on land!

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
Why does the Coast Guard do this? Makes it harder to keep track of which radio keyed up in an emergency.

An educated guess (at least for this area) is that most of the P25 radios in use are for USCG AUX training.

Every now and then I'll see valid RIDs (in the 137xxxx & 58xxxxx range) but it's pretty rare.

hill

Premium Subscriber
The only P25 radios that the AUX has have in my area is surplus EF Johnson portables. Not.used for training in my District only when underway.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
An educated guess (at least for this area) is that most of the P25 radios in use are for USCG AUX training.

Every now and then I'll see valid RIDs (in the 137xxxx & 58xxxxx range) but it's pretty rare.

P25 is in regular use on USCG non-156/157 frequencies (that is, it is used for the 162-174 MHz frequencies).

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Makes it harder to keep track of which radio keyed up in an emergency.

All the USCG [P25] radios I have ever seen had EMERGENCY disabled. No need for it. 35 miles off shore, stopping a vessel, who ELSE you gonna call?
Enforcement units, especially since 09-11-2001 are quite well armed. Everyone has a sidearm, everyone has a M4 Rifle, and usually one or more M240B belt-fed machine guns are mounted in their patrol boat.

More for of if they reported a mayday, and then went down (aircraft) or started taking on water and capsized (vessel). At least someone might know what radio it was. Has nothing to do with weapons at all...

The only 2 I ever logged were in the 137xxxx range.

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
P25 is in regular use on USCG non-156/157 frequencies (that is, it is used for the 162-174 MHz frequencies).

Correction: I was referring to the P25 radios that do not contain RIDs as being used for training. Obviously they use P25 for other activities as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.