Use 800Mhz Radio as scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc9rzj

Jeremy Smith
Premium Subscriber
I ended up getting a BCD436HP. It receives just as good and clear as my department's radios on a simulcast system. I am very impressed. Although I feel like I need a PhD to operate it, I am slowly learning the ins and outs of the radio.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I ended up getting a BCD436HP. It receives just as good and clear as my department's radios on a simulcast system. I am very impressed. Although I feel like I need a PhD to operate it, I am slowly learning the ins and outs of the radio.
Excellent decision. Click on the page link below for more information to help you use your new scanner, especially the Easier To Read Manuals toward the bottom of the page.

BCD436HP and BCD536HP Scanner FAQ - The RadioReference Wiki

RayAir

A good Motorola radio will receive better than any scanner.

If you have some skill you can safely program one to monitor a TRS.

I monitor a system with Motorola radios and they run Genesis Clonewatch and have 24/7 system monitoring centers. My radio will not transmit or affiliate and has no system key in it.

It receives where my scanner does not.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
XTS3000

A rib box is not necessary with this radio, but you do need a computer with a true serial port or a reliable USB to serial convertor. There are cables with the chip right in the cable com connector that work well. You can program receive frequencies just like an old style analog scanner, without affiliation, but it does not trunk. I also use an EF Jonson 5100, and it does noticeably better on my local simulcast system than the motorola. The motorola has more distortion and volume problems than the Johnson. What ever you decide, DO NOT enter transmit frequencies and use transmit inhibit settings.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
So much information in this thread, and so much of it is just wrong.

Yes, it is possible to use a Motorola portable radio to safely scan ANY Motorola trunked system (of compatible type) without fear of affiliation if you know precisely what you are doing, even a full P25 Phase II TDMA system. The method is verified "safe" if procedures are followed EXACTLY.

But it's definitely not for beginners.

However, a system which uses Radio Authentication can't be scanned by a Motorola radio, in trunking mode, without being Authenticated. Which means logged in, approved, and given the authentication key by the system manager.

And if you do it, be aware that you are on shaky legal ground.

RayAir

So much information in this thread, and so much of it is just wrong.

Yes, it is possible to use a Motorola portable radio to safely scan ANY Motorola trunked system (of compatible type) without fear of affiliation if you know precisely what you are doing, even a full P25 Phase II TDMA system. The method is verified "safe" if procedures are followed EXACTLY.

But it's definitely not for beginners.

However, a system which uses Radio Authentication can't be scanned by a Motorola radio, in trunking mode, without being Authenticated. Which means logged in, approved, and given the authentication key by the system manager.

And if you do it, be aware that you are on shaky legal ground.

You can scan a trunked P25 system fairly reliable without a system key.

Granted, this would not work good on a large system but if you're only dealing with a city TRS that has 5 or 6 voice frequencies it works well.

Just create the voice frequencies into a zone.
You can have up to 16 TGs in your Astro TG list.
Set them to be selectable on the front panel.
Select the one you want to scan for and off you go.

I added 15 individual groups and the last group I set for '65535' and it will open up for any TX received while scanning.

For the system of particular interest to me, this method works well.

If you're dealing with a wide area system that has hundreds of TGs and a dozen or more frequencies per site, this method would not be reliable. You would miss a lot of transmissions.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
I'm quite familiar with the practice of scanning a low activity trunked system using conventional (digital) scan. I do it regularly to monitor a local fed system with UTTER safety.

But for any high volume system this approach is close to useless as being able to follow a conversation will be the exception rather than the rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.