USFS law enf

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
As far as I know, and I don't know that much, 168.0250 is to remain as USFS national law enforcement tac. To meet the 2019 deadline the USFS is going to be moving to new frequencies as others have explained above. Members in California already know what the R5 net is going to be and it is unknown if the other USFS regions are planning. Here in Arizona the Prescott NF has a LE net of their own net, but I haven't heard anything on it from west of Flagstaff. I'm not at all moved in and don't have outside antennas yet. I think R3 is going to be using a satellite based system at some point. There is a LE dispatch center in Phoenix, separate from the Tonto NF dispatch center that is providing dispatch for BLM and USFS LE officers only, in New Mexico, Arizona, and even Utah and Montana using satellite radio.

The scuttle butt I'm picking up is that whatever (VHF) frequency is involved that encryption is going to be used eventually. The build out is going to continue to be very slow, due to budget problems.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
I know in MS they ran encryption on the old analog system, when they were doing drug interdiction or found an still. I have no data on the P25 switchover and refreq there currently.

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
My understanding is that, depending on the location, USFS might contract out the LE work to a local sheriff's department. (Same goes for the BLM.) The feds provide the vehicle and equipment, but a deputy will provide the staffing.

In other areas, actual USFS (or BLM) employed LE rangers will be in the field, but they will use local 9-1-1 dispatch centers for going on/off-duty, records checks, running warrants, requesting backup, etc.

Hopefully Exsmokey can chime in on this thread...

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
In R2, the federal dispatch centers rarely do any radio traffic for LE. Its pretty much resource and fire only.
In CO, all federal LE's are on the state digital system, and dont even talk on VHF unless its a weird situation that they need to go direct with resource or fire units.

SCPD

QRT
My understanding is that, depending on the location, USFS might contract out the LE work to a local sheriff's department. (Same goes for the BLM.) The feds provide the vehicle and equipment, but a deputy will provide the staffing.

In other areas, actual USFS (or BLM) employed LE rangers will be in the field, but they will use local 9-1-1 dispatch centers for going on/off-duty, records checks, running warrants, requesting backup, etc.

Hopefully Exsmokey can chime in on this thread...

I retired from the NPS late 2015 and worked with surrounding national forests on fire management issues. The USFS does not contract out their law enforcement as local law enforcement has no federal authority. The USFS has the "Sisk Act" where the federal government pays local authorities assistance for their departments because the national forests bring in visitors, adding to the local law enforcement department's workload. This assistance is to help the locals enforce state law, not federal law. The money can be used for personnel and equipment costs, but the departments drive their own vehicles not federal vehicles. USFS and BLM officers drive federal vehicles and enforce federal law. In most areas federal officers are deputized by the county sheriff to enforce state law as going to the federal LE training center earn those feds a POST certification. The county sheriff often need the assistance of the federal officers because their departments are usually small.

This is all covered in cooperative/mutual aid agreements that allow local LE to assist fed LE WHEN they are requested and vice versa. I worked under these agreements for fire mutual aid and assistance between the park units I was on and the local jurisdictions as well as in between the USFS and NPS. This was the situation where I worked on five different parks.

OregonScanner

Premium Subscriber
Was in Reedsport this weekend and I searched the federal VHF band and got 172.5125 107.2 PL sounds like Siuslaw NF Law Dispatch. Metcom talking to Frank 2xxx units in Lincoln County. One of the repeaters is called "Cummins." Cummins was the location of the "South" repeater for 168.025. Will have to monitor more to confirm its for the whole SNF.

I've searched the federal VHF band multiple times while on the coast since they stopped using 168.025 but I never got any hits until today. So they must have been using cellphones or something for a while besides county VHF.

kroorda

The US Forest Service has recently change and reduced the number of frequencies they use. In the past, most of their repeaters within a district all had different frequencies. Now (as of 2016) most all of the repeaters within a given district share the same frequency, but each repeater has a different PL code. Each repeater then repeats to the District office on the common/assigned receive frequency for that district (dispatch) office.
Likewise, in most districts now, the LEO (Law Enforcement Officer) uses the same frequency and PL codes as do other FS employees in that district. Likewise, the LEO also communicated with all local and State Public Service agencies on their assigned frequencies and PL's.
(I work for the Forest Service.)

SCPD

QRT
The US Forest Service has recently change and reduced the number of frequencies they use. In the past, most of their repeaters within a district all had different frequencies. Now (as of 2016) most all of the repeaters within a given district share the same frequency, but each repeater has a different PL code. Each repeater then repeats to the District office on the common/assigned receive frequency for that district (dispatch) office.
Likewise, in most districts now, the LEO (Law Enforcement Officer) uses the same frequency and PL codes as do other FS employees in that district. Likewise, the LEO also communicated with all local and State Public Service agencies on their assigned frequencies and PL's.
(I work for the Forest Service.)

Keep in mind that each Forest Service region approaches communications differently, especially when it concerns law enforcement. Some regions don't want their fire/other functions dispatchers handling law enforcement dispatching at all or are attempting to terminate LE dispatching by their regular dispatchers. Two regions that are taking this approach are R3 and R4. Region 5 is taking the complete opposite approach where the dispatch centers are fully trained to use the state of California law enforcement terminals to run NCIC, DMV and other systems for running plates and people for criminal history, wants, warrants, etc. R5 is in the process of building a statewide LE net with the vision of possibly establishing one or two centralized LE dispatch centers. R3 is migrating to a central LE dispatch center in Phoenix that uses satellite radio throughout AZ and NM. R4 is farming out LE dispatching with some forests having their LE officers being dispatched by state and local agencies. For example, the Humboldt-Toiyabe NF is using the NV Dept of Wildlife dispatch their officers, including maintaining officer status.

The system of not having multiple frequencies for different repeaters and consolidating to one district, zone or national forest frequency is not at all new. Region 5 has been doing this since burst tone technology started to be used in the late 1960's. When CTCSS tone technology became available they switched to it. R3 started using this beginning in 1980, with one national forest per year converting to it so that it was region wide by about 1991.

I worked in fire management for the National Park Service for my career and we started converting to CTCSS for our nets, in some cases, in the early 80's. We often had park nets with all the repeaters on the same output frequency, but had different input frequencies for each repeater, so that each repeater had a different channel. This ate up radio memory once the King radios arrived, so a very gradual conversion to a single repeater pair with each repeater having a unique CTCSS tone was undertaken. Then some of the larger parks started expanding from one "park net" to several so that the protection rangers (LE, EMS, fire, SAR) had a net, fire had a net, admin had a net, or whatever suited that park. Now, some parks have gone back to each repeater having different output frequency, the same input frequency on a computer voting system and having the repeaters multicast so that no matter where you are in the park you will hear everything on the net.

Since retirement and my starting in the scanner hobby, I've managed to get my hands on frequency directories for some of the Geographic Area Coordination Centers, GACC's of which there are 10 nationwide, but have never come across one for the Rocky Mtn GACC. Some GACC's haven't even published one until the last 1-2 years, while others, such as the two in California have published a statewide directory since around 1992.

I don't know how much experience you've had outside USFS R2, so I thought I would give you this info. I worked with surrounding national forests at the five parks I worked on in USFS regions 1, 2, 3 and 5. I assume you work for the USFS in R2, maybe you work somewhere else.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
There was a foot pursuit on the USFS ForestNet in San Diego the other day...on the same channel that all the other USFS stuff comes out on.

Paul

KB7MIB

R3 is migrating to a central LE dispatch center in Phoenix that uses satellite radio throughout AZ and NM.

So are we going to start seeing domes with SatCom antennas under them on the roofs of USFS law enforcement vehicles across AZ and NM now?

What about when they're out of their vehicles? Will they have an extender system using VHF HT's, and if so, what frequency would they use, or will they have portable SatCom radios, similar to satellite phones?

I do know that Tonto NF LEO's can be heard on Maricopa County SO's Lake Patrol dispatch and tac TG's, as well as Gila County SO's VHF channels.

John
Peoria, AZ

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
NPS in Albuquerque talks to city via city portables on the dispatch talkgroup for that area of town as needed, since 911 in the park routes to the city 911 center.
They use their government iphones to talk to grand canyon NPS dispatch for park related, and for CAD related things like id/license plate checks.

They said its similar in other NPS areas in New Mexico and AZ. Local/County LE channels on the radio, cell or sat phone to NPS Grand Canyon for park related.

Someone above mentioned Northern NV, and thats correct.
I (being in a BLM/BIA/USFS interagency dispatch) hardly ever talk to our rangers. They do all LEO related functions thru NVDOW thru their repeaters. We only know about it because we scan those channels.

Most federal (outside of CA) keep their LE and routine/Fire dispatches separate.

wb6sub

Premium Subscriber
Remember that USFS is broken up into regions and California happens to be region 5. Utah will be in region 4, and Oregon/Washington will be in region 6, Region 10 is another like California where the state is the region which Alaska is region 10...and so on. You need to keep an eye on radio reference and look for the region law enforcements. I know some are not aligned with that but they are still changing over to the new federal band plan

gvranchosbill

Just to add to this conversation USFS LEO in TMU was using below frequencies, but its been i think a couple of years since any traffic was on this net.
Most of what i remember hearing on that net was Law Enforcement car to car traffic.
Edward Units are being heard talking with Camino ECC on TMU Forest/Fire Net as little as a week ago and as long as unknown number of years im guessing running plates etc

H.T..F, and U.S.Fish & Wildlife Law Enforcement has been heard on NV Dept of Wildlife 151.4750 and callsign starts with "Robert" followed by numbers.

BLM Carson Rangers have been heard on the BLM Carson City District Net 169.9875

Frequency Input License Type Toneout Description
166.1250 164.6250 KMB660 RM 103.5 USFS TMU LE Net Tone-1 (110.9)Scout Pk
166.1250 164.6250 KMB660 RM 103.5 USFS TMU LE Net Tone-7 (167.9)Squaw Pk
166.1250 164.6250 KMB660 RM 103.5 USFS TMU LE Net Tone-9 (100.0)Snow Valley Pk

gvranchosbill

Keep in mind that each Forest Service region approaches communications differently, especially when it concerns law enforcement. Some regions don't want their fire/other functions dispatchers handling law enforcement dispatching at all or are attempting to terminate LE dispatching by their regular dispatchers. Two regions that are taking this approach are R3 and R4. Region 5 is taking the complete opposite approach where the dispatch centers are fully trained to use the state of California law enforcement terminals to run NCIC, DMV and other systems for running plates and people for criminal history, wants, warrants, etc. R5 is in the process of building a statewide LE net with the vision of possibly establishing one or two centralized LE dispatch centers. R3 is migrating to a central LE dispatch center in Phoenix that uses satellite radio throughout AZ and NM. R4 is farming out LE dispatching with some forests having their LE officers being dispatched by state and local agencies. For example, the Humboldt-Toiyabe NF is using the NV Dept of Wildlife dispatch their officers, including maintaining officer status.

The system of not having multiple frequencies for different repeaters and consolidating to one district, zone or national forest frequency is not at all new. Region 5 has been doing this since burst tone technology started to be used in the late 1960's. When CTCSS tone technology became available they switched to it. R3 started using this beginning in 1980, with one national forest per year converting to it so that it was region wide by about 1991.

I worked in fire management for the National Park Service for my career and we started converting to CTCSS for our nets, in some cases, in the early 80's. We often had park nets with all the repeaters on the same output frequency, but had different input frequencies for each repeater, so that each repeater had a different channel. This ate up radio memory once the King radios arrived, so a very gradual conversion to a single repeater pair with each repeater having a unique CTCSS tone was undertaken. Then some of the larger parks started expanding from one "park net" to several so that the protection rangers (LE, EMS, fire, SAR) had a net, fire had a net, admin had a net, or whatever suited that park. Now, some parks have gone back to each repeater having different output frequency, the same input frequency on a computer voting system and having the repeaters multicast so that no matter where you are in the park you will hear everything on the net.

Since retirement and my starting in the scanner hobby, I've managed to get my hands on frequency directories for some of the Geographic Area Coordination Centers, GACC's of which there are 10 nationwide, but have never come across one for the Rocky Mtn GACC. Some GACC's haven't even published one until the last 1-2 years, while others, such as the two in California have published a statewide directory since around 1992.

I don't know how much experience you've had outside USFS R2, so I thought I would give you this info. I worked with surrounding national forests at the five parks I worked on in USFS regions 1, 2, 3 and 5. I assume you work for the USFS in R2, maybe you work somewhere else.

Tone Bursts were used by CDF back when i used to listen to Auburn CDF Dispatch KXE36 Nevada Yuba Placer Ranger Unit on Local(151.2500), Region(151.3250) and State(151.3550) Net repeaters around 1972 and without CTCSS repeaters were left open and i could hear other dispatch centers hundreds of miles away coming through the repeaters using the same input frequencies.

Last edited:

wb6sub

Premium Subscriber
171.7875 Repeater Output 162.96250 Repeater Input is Region 5 which is the State of California. I have not heard a peep on the old statewide and was wondering the same if the activity is now on Region 5 Law enforcement frequency

clovisb31

171.7875 Repeater Output 162.96250 Repeater Input is Region 5 which is the State of California. I have not heard a peep on the old statewide and was wondering the same if the activity is now on Region 5 Law enforcement frequency

Well, I can tell you that the LE Ranger in the SNF (Sierra NF) uses the main SNF channel 171.475 for his comms. I have personally been introduced to him by a group of 4x4 folks that ride the OHV trails in SNF and monitor him on 171.475.

I never hear anything around me (SNF, SQF) on 171.7875

Your mileage may vary.

...." My pillow and mattress are no longer type accepted....I pulled the labels off"...

Status
Not open for further replies.