Using a dmr radio to scan fleetnet

Status
Not open for further replies.

ve3opc

I of course realize if it could it would not trunk but would a DMR radio receive Fleetnet transmissions ? they claim to do Tier two which I assume is just another word for Motorola II so am considering one as a cheap hand held scanner as well as Amateur radio use ?.

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

Bell Fleetnet is Motorola Type 2, which is not DMR. It supports Analog and P25.
Motorola Type II SmartZone - The RadioReference Wiki

A DMR radio could be setup to receive the Analog transmissions conventionally, but it would be too limiting not being able to trunk track the system. You would get P25 talkgroups mixed in and no way to identify the talkgroups.

73 Eric

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
What Eric says is 100% correct. DMR Tier 2 is completely different than Motorola Type II trunking.

slicerwizard

would a DMR radio receive Fleetnet transmissions ? they claim to do Tier two which I assume is just another word for Motorola II
In case it's not clear, DMR and DMR Tier two have nothing in common with P25 CAI Motorola Type II trunking systems. No connections whatsoever. As noted, the only Fleetnet related thing you can do with a DMR radio is listen to analog traffic in conventional mode (no trunk tracking)

ve3opc

Not really important it trunk tracks just its ability to receive digital transmissions...thought I would just plug in all 5 repeaters and wing it for what I was hearing...

Also I believe that OPP are in fact not true P25 but Motorola type II smart Zone.

Last edited by a moderator:

SCPD

QRT
Does this radio you are trying to use to listen to P25 do P25? the specs should be available via a Google search, if it only does DMR and maybe analog then it will not decode P25 regardless of what generation of P25.

DMR and P25 are different.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
I apologize if I'm stating the obvious, but the only thing you'll be able to hear with a DMR radio are DMR signals.

If you have a D-Star radio, all you will be able to hear are D-Star signals. A P25 radio will only hear P25 signals, a System Fusion radio will only hear System Fusion signals and so on. They're all separate digital modes.

As mentioned, most digital radios support analog as well as digital, so they can copy analog signals from each other. And of course, there are scanners capable of picking up various digital modes.

Status
Not open for further replies.