Using a Multicoupler and/or Preamp with a Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

MB

Feed Provider
Can you use a Stridsberg Multicoupler with a 2-Way radio? I would like to use an ICOM 50 watt VHF-Hi F521 radio with other scanners on a multicoupler. I will be using this for receive purposes only because I know if I transmit I will fry the multicoupler.

What about a receive only preamp?

Does the radio tansmit some power on startup?

rhutch

It really doesn't know what kind of radio its hooked to. But like you said one click on the mike button and that would probably be the end of the coupler and pre-amp

Twister234

Premium Subscriber
I recently had to return one of my multicouplers to Stridsberg. Did you know they have a lifetime warranty? Great folks to work with... but then again for the money I spent on 3 MCA204s, they did okay.

John_M

MB

Feed Provider
John_M said:
Being in Northeast N.Y. chances are you are in a low noise environment and a preamp may work for you. I bought a RS TV antenna preamp and am now pulling in signals that I would never hear without it. I am using the 15-2507 model. You may want to use a preamp designed for a select band only. These are good when you don't want to amplify undesired signals.

http://www.radioshack.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=antenna%20amplifier&origkw=antenna%20amplifier

I am using a preamp, actually two different preamp and multicoupler setups. I am using an Advanced Receiver 24dB GaAsFET 150-160Mhz preamp and a broadband 30-1000Mhz 11dB preamp with two Stridsberg MCA204M Multicouplers on a Antenex 3dB Omni and a Monitenna. I am also using PAR Intermod filters to help with pager intermod.

http://www.advancedreceiver.com/
http://www.stridsberg.com/index.htm
http://www.parelectronics.com/

In my original question I was asking about using a 2-Way Radio with the above setup. I would like to add a 2-Way radio to one of the multicoupler outputs, and I am wondering if it is O.K. to do so. I would hate to fry all this expensive equipment.

MB

Feed Provider
Twister234 said:
I recently had to return one of my multicouplers to Stridsberg. Did you know they have a lifetime warranty? Great folks to work with... but then again for the money I spent on 3 MCA204s, they did okay.

Why did you have to return it? How can you tell if your multicoupler has gone bad?

trooperdude

Database Admin
MB said:
Why did you have to return it? How can you tell if your multicoupler has gone bad?

Mine had to be returned so many times I dumped it.

It was constantly going deaf. It would slowly lose gain over a 3-4 day period, then
be totally deaf. Royal PITA.

They replaced parts 3 times before I finally just sold it after the last repair to get rid
of it.

My friend across town had the exact same problem and dumped his as well.

I'm definitely NOT sold on Stridsberg.

trooperdude

Database Admin
MB said:
In my original question I was asking about using a 2-Way Radio with the above setup. I would like to add a 2-Way radio to one of the multicoupler outputs, and I am wondering if it is O.K. to do so. I would hate to fry all this expensive equipment.

Stridsberg Multicouplers are NOT designed to be used with anything that transmits.

You will smoke it in short order if you do.

MB

Feed Provider
trooperdude said:
Mine had to be returned so many times I dumped it.

It was constantly going deaf. It would slowly lose gain over a 3-4 day period, then
be totally deaf. Royal PITA.

They replaced parts 3 times before I finally just sold it after the last repair to get rid
of it.

My friend across town had the exact same problem and dumped his as well.

I'm definitely NOT sold on Stridsberg.

What do you use now?

I have used two different 4 port active Stridsberg Multicouplers for over two years now with scanners and with no problems. I think they work great.

Do you know of a good multicoupler to use with radios that transmit?

Status
Not open for further replies.