Using an SDR-IQ with an IF input

Status
Not open for further replies.

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
I'm considering having an 10.7 IF tap installed on a PCR-100. If I feed that out to my SDR-IQ antenna input and tune the SDR to 10.7 MHz, I should see be able to receive anything the PCR-100 is tuned to, on the SDR correct?

kc8hnz

Premium Subscriber
Yes, and you will never want to go back to a 'naked' receiver again. Being able to see the signals as you tune them opens up a whole new level of monitoring.

As for the PCR 100 specifically, I'm not familiar with the complexity of adding a IF tap, or how stable it would be, but if you can do it with out damaging the radio it should work great. Another option would be to upgrade to a radio that already has a IF out and some form of computer control, and in that case you can set up in Spectrevue to follow the frequency on the radio so it displays what it is tuned to instead of the default 10.7 MHz of the IF. I have my R7100 set up in this manner and would never go back to 'just' listening.

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
Thanks!

I have the detailed info on the IF tap procedure for the PCR-100 and have engaged someone who does board level work on radios and laptops to do the tap for me.

I chose the PCR-100 due to it portability and control from a laptop. Also, I currently use SpectraVue and plan on using it with this setup as well.

majoco

Stirrer
I'm working on the same lines with a project to add a SoftRock SDR to my NRD515 HF receiver at the 455kHz IF before the filters. Work in progress......

Token

At one time or another I have used all of my SDRs on the IF of a radio. Most frequently I use my Excalibur or my Perseus on one of my R8500's or my R7000, but I have also used my SDR-IQ, SDR-14, and my Softrock.

With the SDR-IQ and the PCR-100 you might be able to get a little limited control of the PCR using SPectraVue. I know SpectraVue supports control of some Icom radios, and I know the control sets for many Icoms are the same with the exception of the ID. For example, to use SPectraVue with my R8500 or my R7000 it is one selection for both radios. WOuld this support the PCR-100 via serial link? I have no idea, but might be worth a try.

T!

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
Last edited:

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
With the SDR-IQ and the PCR-100 you might be able to get a little limited control of the PCR using SPectraVue. I know SpectraVue supports control of some Icom radios, and I know the control sets for many Icoms are the same with the exception of the ID.
T!

I'm not sure how I'd have the SDR control the PCR-100 since the one serial interface on the PCR-100 must be used to control the unit from the software interface (in this case, TalkPCR).

What I'm most looking forward to is a more efficient means of signal "stalking" for intermittant transmissions above 30 MHz.

I think I may see if can also have the discriminator tapped at the same time so I can use TrunkPCR with it as well...

Token

I'm not sure how I'd have the SDR control the PCR-100 since the one serial interface on the PCR-100 must be used to control the unit from the software interface (in this case, TalkPCR).

What I'm most looking forward to is a more efficient means of signal "stalking" for intermittant transmissions above 30 MHz.

I think I may see if can also have the discriminator tapped at the same time so I can use TrunkPCR with it as well...

Again, keep in mind that I do not know if it would work or not, the PCR-100 is not one of the radios in the SpectraVue pull down menu, so it probably will not, but it is free to try. SpectraVue provides the control of some Icoms directly from the GUI.

When using my SDR-IQ or my SDR-14 on the IF of the R8500, for example, all radio control is via SpectraVue. I tune the R8500 to the center frequency I want, say 155.000 MHz, using SpectraVue. The software talks directly to the R8500 via the serial port and provides basic control, just as TalkPCR does.

As far as stalking signals goes…I find that above 30 MHz the limited bandwidth of the SDR-IQ (190 kHz max displayed) is a bit restrictive. However, the up to 50 Mhz of the Excalibur is very, very, useful, but I most often use the wideband display on the Excalibur in the 30 MHz mode. Because of limitations in the R8500 I end up with a usable spectrum width of about 18 to 20 MHz, very nice for finding previously undefined signals in the area.

T!

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
Tap done

The IF tap is done and here's a screen shot:

Signal to the left is a voice channel from the Lakewood, CO EDACS system
Signal in the middle is the CO DTRS Lookout Mtn CC
Two signals on the right are the CO DTRS Chevron and Squaw Mtn. CCs

Attachments

• Lookout Mtn CC.jpg
    Lookout Mtn CC.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 1,534

updatelee

Ive got the 10.7mhz tap info posted on my blog as well as a python app to control the pcr100

google my nick and you'll find it if anyone is interested

Status
Not open for further replies.