Using FCC Data and Google Earth to aid in scanning in the Twin Cities

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capella

Premium Subscriber
I'm new to scanning in the Mpls/St Paul area and to get a better understanding of RF environment I created a KML file that displays data from the FCC's database in Google Earth. With that map I then use the Radio Reference database for a deep dive into the individual users, control channels, talkgroups, etc.

For those interested, the attached pdf file steps you through the process of searching the FCC database, cutting/pasting the data into a spreadsheet, cleaning up the spreadsheet, importing the spreadsheet into Google Earth Pro, and then saving the resultant file as a kml or kmz file so that you can view it at your leisure.

Hope this helps

Attachments

• Quick Start Guide Creating a Google Earth KML file from FCC Data.pdf
    109.6 KB · Views: 74

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for posting the "HOW TO", went through it and found it easy to understand and was able to build a Google Earth file to show the frequencies near where I live in a matter of minutes. Really appreciate the work you put into this and you sharing it with us.

Just wish your POST title didn't say Twin Cities, as I think others around the country may think it isn"t interesting for the since they don't live in the area. Thanks again!

Capella

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the note. I looked through the various forums and couldn't find a good fit so I posted it to the MN forum using the Mall of America (just down the street from me) as the example.

But as time permits I do plan on updating (adding additional FCC data) and will see if another forum might be more suitable.

Thanks again for the comments.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the note. I looked through the various forums and couldn't find a good fit so I posted it to the MN forum using the Mall of America (just down the street from me) as the example.

Understand, have used it a couple of times and really like it, am learning how to do different templates to display the data. Again Thanks this is great.

JASII

Memory Capacity
Capella,

If you want to try yet another way to a "better understanding of RF environment" in the Minneapolis Saint Paul area, you could try what I did a few years back. It involved my Uniden and using Butel software. Essentially I created a file with all allocated frequencies, with the correct steps. I really didn't focus much on VHF-low band because there is so little activity there. When I started this, it began at 150.995, or maybe a little bit lower than that. Then it went up by 15 KHz steps. Now, it would be 7.5 KHz steps. Anyway, as soon as I heard activity, I would note the PL/DPL and log that, as well as try to determine who the user was.

Most of the time I could look at the FCC licensees and determine who the use was. Or, at least narrow it down to the two or three most likely users. It was sort of a sub-hobby within the hobby. I learned a lot by doing this and encourage you to try it, too.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Using the @Capella method, I was able to identify the frequencies and tower location for a nuclear power plant that formally I had not been able to locate. The tower is actually 3.2 miles away from the site, but in the site notes it identified it as being for the plant. Thanks again for sharing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.