Using PMR radio on river cruise

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronross

Premium Subscriber
I will be traveling to Germany, Austria and Hungary on a river cruise and I would like to take a radio to stay in contact with others on the cruise. I noticed that Europe has a FRS type radio called PMR446. Would there be any issues in taking a Baofeng HT programmed with the PMR frequencies on this trip? I also noticed that there is a new service to supplement the PMR frequencies called LPD433. Any suggestions on which one to use?

GW7MGW

I have the 888S Baofeng and it was hard to program. I used a mixture of 888S program and Chirp and the radio its self, and not sure if actually legal even with correct frequencies and setting power level.

As for the UV-B5 programmed the same, I am sure not legal. I am lead to believe in the UK you are permitted 16 channels and removable aerial, however not all countries allow this, some only allow 8 channels, and aerial has to be fixed, not sure what markings are required.

In the UK likely as long as you set power and frequencies correctly then it is unlikely you would have any problem, but in other countries they may be more strict, personally I would not want to take the chance abroad, however in UK I would not really worry.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Would there be any issues in taking a Baofeng HT programmed with the PMR frequencies on this trip?

A problem? Likely.
The CEPT makes the rules and each country sort of uses that set of rules Those rules are sort of similar to the old FRS rules in the USA, non-removable antennas, 500mw maximum. Your Baofeng will not be legal. Don't be "that guy".

It's going to be easier to just buy legal PMR radios when you get there. Use them and either give them to someone who lives in Europe, or bring them home and let an amateur radio operator use them. The PMR446 frequencies are used by the 70 centimeter amateur radio band here in the USA.
Or, just check with your cell carrier and see what they offer for usage while in Europe. I've heard of people just buying SIM cards and using them while abroad and tossing them when they get home. I've heard it can actually be pretty cheap.

I also noticed that there is a new service to supplement the PMR frequencies called LPD433. Any suggestions on which one to use?

LPD433 is 10mw, non-removable antenna. A Beofeng will be way outside those limitations.

Status
Not open for further replies.