Using PSR 800 as a base unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

6Paul21

Premium Subscriber
I am looking for any ideas on how to use the PSR 800 as a base with two speakers. I am interested in the power supply that might be used (not computer) and any ideas would be a great help.
Thanks Ed

troymail

Silent Key
I am looking for any ideas on how to use the PSR 800 as a base with two speakers. I am interested in the power supply that might be used (not computer) and any ideas would be a great help.
Thanks Ed

As for power, all you need is something like this:
http://www.tmart.com/USB-Power-Adap...aign=product&gclid=CO-034TRkLwCFdFxOgodT2cABA

I have several different versions of these little adapters including the one that came with my HTC Smart Phone and others that I bought at various outlets for as little as 99 cents.

As for the usage as a base unit and the speakers -- that shouldn't be a problem at all. At least one of my two 800s is serving as a base (fixed location on a desk) unit on a regular basis.

What kind of information are you looking for?

Last edited:

6Paul21

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info, and I will be running two external speakers and don' want to use amplified speakers. I didn't think there was enough audio push to get the audio I needed out. I believe I have enough power supplies for that unit lying around hear.

IowaGuy1603

Thanks for the info, and I will be running two external speakers and don' want to use amplified speakers. I didn't think there was enough audio push to get the audio I needed out. I believe I have enough power supplies for that unit lying around hear.

You are probably going to have a hard time running 2 external speakers off a PSR800. The audio out of the jack is just too weak without amplification.

I use one of my 800's exclusively as a base hooked to a wall-wart USB converter.

k8zgw

What is the problem with using amplified speakers ??
A cheap pair of amplified computer speakers
( Inland@ about $10 or less) work wonderful.

Don

6Paul21

Premium Subscriber
I have several RS amplified speakers for 110V, but I think I would like something smaller with volume controls. If you know where I could get some for 110V, that would be a help.
Thanks Ed

SCPD

QRT
TV as amp

Use your tv as the speakers and let the amp in the TV do al the work,I use a 3/8 mini stereo to RCA adapter,the power I use is a 1amp USB charger,rig the scanner to a mount and wala!
I use a Video input 1 and hooked up the red and white plugs only,the yellow goes to the video source of your choice like outdoor cameras or something.

AC2OY

Use your tv as the speakers and let the amp in the TV do al the work,I use a 3/8 mini stereo to RCA adapter,the power I use is a 1amp USB charger,rig the scanner to a mount and wala!
I use a Video input 1 and hooked up the red and white plugs only,the yellow goes to the video source of your choice like outdoor cameras or something.

And there it is!!!!!

SCPD

QRT
gre and TV sound.

I tell ya for the only radio that records independant channels and happens to be the most sensitive handheld I have owned thus far,this radio is great and when i hook er up to the TV,its even better!Nice and loud.
Please note though,keep your scanner's volume kinda low or you will get a distorted signal out the tv,and yes it comes through both speakers!(not stereo)

DJ11DLN

I use a Scosche FM micro-transmitter, under $15 at Wally-World. Works great in vehicles and at home through the stereo. Batteries last for days on a charge. I can put the scanner where reception is best and hear it well through the stereo or anywhere in the basement or within 50' of the house with a portable radio. Always plenty of volume. Mine is a Pro-18 but I can't see why it wouldn't work with your PSR-800 or any scanner with a headphone jack for that matter.

AC2OY

K2RTY,

Have you programmed in some of the Super Bowl stuff or just monitoring the usual suspects?!! I haven't had any time to hook it up to easy scan yet and get a little crazy!!! I'm hearing tons of stuff on the State Police Talk groups but not exactly what it is honestly!!

jackj

You will NOT be able to use the 800 by itself to drive an external speaker. GRE thinks folks are too stupid to turn down the volume when they use earphones on it so they used an attenuator on the earphone jack. It will not drive a speaker. I use an old set of computer speakers on mine and they work fine. The 800 has two different volume controls, one for the earphone jack and the other for the built-in speaker. You can set the volume when using an amplified speaker, unplug the external speaker and the volume returns to the level you had set for the internal speaker. The reverse is also true, plug in the external speaker and the volume returns to the level you had set for the external speaker.

SCPD

QRT
fuzzy

K2RTY,

Have you programmed in some of the Super Bowl stuff or just monitoring the usual suspects?!! I haven't had any time to hook it up to easy scan yet and get a little crazy!!! I'm hearing tons of stuff on the State Police Talk groups but not exactly what it is honestly!!

I would put in NJSP and put it on Wildcard ! This way when it finds a new talkgroup you can then choose to store it in the 800.And the new fun news is the Uniden doesnt decode any better than the 800 on Phase 2 ,
so Im glad I didnt wait! And it doesnt record independant channels,like we can! Put on East rutherford as well and the frequencies youre not supposed to talk about too! LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.