• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Using RIBLESS programming for a HT1000

Status
Not open for further replies.

zach3713

Premium Subscriber
I'm trying to program my radio, I can't get it to pull the codeplug, it keeps telling me that it cant read do to the rib cable. I get the "RIB PORT COMMUNICATION UNSUCCESSFUL. What do I need to do in order to progeam my radio?

emscapt9816

Retired, but somehow working harder now...
Premium Subscriber
HT1000 Programming

Verify you indeed have a ribless cable. Make sure the contact points on the radio are clean and intact, and check the contact pins on the cable. I had one pin break on my HT1250 ribless cable, and got a similar error message. I had to replace the whole cable.

zach3713

Premium Subscriber
I checked everything, it appears all to be good. I read some stuff about needing to be in TRUE DOS? I can't find anything to tell me how to boot into DOS.Is it true that I need to be in DOS?

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
:lol: Yes, you need true DOS as the HT1000 RSS is a DOS program.

What OS are you using? What speed processor? You're going to have a hard time running it on a fast computer, I've used a PII 366mhz but I'd not try anything really modern.

zach3713

Premium Subscriber
I don't have anything old to run it on...the oldest thing I have is running windows ME. Not sure about the speed and everything, it's at work. Is there any other way to program this thing? How can I get to DOS from an XP machine?

Grog

Banned
The ME machine might work, if you can make a boot disk to boot directly into DOS, and run the RSS straight from that it might/should work.

zach3713

Premium Subscriber
I only have one machine with a floppy, i tred to make 3 boot disks today, and they all kept telling me bad sector. Also, how do I run the program once in DOS? I'm going to go down to the pawn shop see if I can get an old computer.

Grog

Banned
zach3713 said:
I only have one machine with a floppy, i tred to make 3 boot disks today, and they all kept telling me bad sector. Also, how do I run the program once in DOS? I'm going to go down to the pawn shop see if I can get an old computer.

I can e-mail the HT1000 RSS users manual, it has quite a bit of useful info. Just send an e-mail to Mong_Loves_Midgets@yahoo.com and I will send the manual to anyone interested. I won't send any RSS, so please nobody ask for that. If you do I will report you to Santa Claus and you will get a lump of coal in your stocking. :lol:

K2GOG

Grog said:
I can e-mail the HT1000 RSS users manual, it has quite a bit of useful info. Just send an e-mail to Mong_Loves_Midgets@yahoo.com and I will send the manual to anyone interested. I won't send any RSS, so please nobody ask for that. If you do I will report you to Santa Claus and you will get a lump of coal in your stocking. :lol:

nice email address!

see the movie "In Bruges" yet?

ok, back to the topic at hand...

CCHLLM

The ME machine will probably work fine IF you have an RSS version that will work with Windows 95/98. I have version R03.02.01 28-Jun-96 working well in ME for the past 10 years, so that and any later versions should work, BUT there are some steps you'll have to take after installing it to make it work properly. Below is the short version of the "read me" file in the later software, and in it you'll find the long version of these settings. If your copy of the RSS does not have these instructions, it's still likely to be a version that will work with 95/98/ME if it's later than the one listed here or has the update for 12.5 kHz channel spacing, so be sure to follow these steps below before attempting to program at home or you're likely to become familiar with the term "brick." If you are able to read the radio after making these mods, then it should also program just fine provided that there's no "noise" getting on the cables. That's another problem that these setups are susceptible to.

After installing it, go to Explore and call up the file so that the files are displayed in the right window.
Right click on the HT1000 application icon (should read Type: Application Size: 474 kb when you mouse over it)
Left click on Properties.
General page: Change "Attributes" to Archive, make "Read only" and "Hidden" False
Program page: Change "Run" to Maximized.
Make "Close on exit" True.
Make "Prevent MS-DOS-based programs from detecting Windows"
True.
Font page: Choose "Both font types."
Memory page: Make all choices "Auto."
Screen page: Usage: choose "Full screen." Initial size: choose "default."
Window: make "Restore settings on startup" True.
Performance: make "Fast ROM emulation True.
make "Dynamic memory allocation" True
Misc. page: Foreground: make "Allow screen saver" False
Mouse: make both choices False
Background: make "Always suspend" True
Termination: make "Warn if still active" True
Idle sensitivity: Low (all the way left)
Other: make "Fast pasting" False
Windows shortcut keys: may be left True

Again, all of this is per the supplemental instructions that came from MotherMoto to use some RSS versions with 95/98, and which was in the "Read me" files in later RSS versions, so if you have the version with the updated "read me" file, you'll find all this in there.

Last edited:

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
I had the problem as well, but when I booted into Win98 and went to the Control Panel, I discovered that my Comm2 was disabled. Once I enabled it and rebooted into DOS, it worked perfectly.

gadgetguy15

I looked online and found a thing where you can boot to a copy of DOS on a flashdrive plugged into the USB port. I used it on a 1gig machine without a problem and was able to program my HT1000. This was like a year ago though so I don't remember the specifics, but Google searching was how I figured it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.