Using software and RR to update my config

Status
Not open for further replies.

interop

I know this can be done for PSR800 and Home Patrol, but what about other scanners where the data isn't the entire database?

Assuming all my originial info came from the RR database, are there any software programs that can look at what is in my radio then compare that to any new changes in RR and only download the updates?

rwier

I know this can be done for PSR800 and Home Patrol, but what about other scanners where the data isn't the entire database?

Assuming all my originial info came from the RR database, are there any software programs that can look at what is in my radio then compare that to any new changes in RR and only download the updates?

I would be stunned if that is "EXACTLY" what EZScan or Sentinel are doing with the RR database.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
AFAIK, that can't be done with any current software (including PSR800 and HP-1; they d/l the entire database every time).

c5corvette

Premium Subscriber
In the Home Patrol sense, its just overwriting the whole database every time.

In the PSR-800 EZ Scan it too overwrites the library every time and if you "import items into scanlists" and you upload the library again, the PSR will essentailly have updated all items in your scanlists previously imported from the library with new data for the items you imported from the library.

However, for something you have imported into a scan list already if you change something in the name or tag after you have imported it, there is a checkbox in the software that during a reimport of that system grabbing all the new changes in the library it gives you the option where you can choose to keep or overwrite any custom name changes etc.

I too am now wondering if there is something similar in anyones thrid party program for the PSR600 or the BCD996, etc. So, for example, if I have built an extensive list of 10,000 channels and/or 400 systems and a crap load of talkgroups and I want to update any changes - only overwriting any new talkgroups, sites, control channels, names, etc. This would be a cool feature if someone had it.

Last edited:

interop

In the PSR-800 EZ Scan it too overwrites the library every time and if you "import items into scanlists" and you upload the library again, the PSR will essentailly have updated all items in your scanlists previously imported from the library with new data for the items you imported from the library.

However, for something you have imported into a scan list already if you change something in the name or tag after you have imported it, there is a checkbox in the software that during a reimport of that system grabbing all the new changes in the library it gives you the option where you can choose to keep or overwrite any custom name changes etc.

I too am now wondering if there is something similar in anyones thrid party program for the PSR600 or the BCD996, etc. So, for example, if I have built an extensive list of 10,000 channels and/or 400 systems and a crap load of talkgroups and I want to update any changes - only overwriting any new talkgroups, sites, control channels, names, etc. This would be a cool feature if someone had it.

Thanks. That is exact what I am asking. In some/any software prog you could click on a 'system' and there migth be a button to say 'download revisions' and it could access RR and grab any changes. I guess right now this is not an option and you have to completely reprog eveyr time?

DonS

In the PSR-700 and PSR-800, there is an option to update your imported items based on the current version of the RRDB that's on the scanner's memory card. This is because there are really two copies of data on the card:
* the "raw" RRDB in one directory
* the data you've imported or created in various CDAT* directories

On the PSR-700 or PSR-800, if you imported a bunch of data a few months ago, then downloaded the latest "library" (RRDB) files to the scanner, you can update your imported items via the scanner's "Update from Lib" function. You'll be asked if you want to overwrite your (possibly changed) alpha tags with what the RRDB contains. You can do this "update" for each V-Scanner folder independently.

OCO

On the PSR-700 or PSR-800, if you imported a bunch of data a few months ago, then downloaded the latest "library" (RRDB) files to the scanner, you can update your imported items via the scanner's "Update from Lib" function. You'll be asked if you want to overwrite your (possibly changed) alpha tags with what the RRDB contains. You can do this "update" for each V-Scanner folder independently.

The lack of this feature on the HP1 sure does limit the amount of editing that I do on my favorites..All it takes is one monster system like MPSCS to curb my interest in doing more than exporting it to a favorite and then trimming the 180 or so sites that I don't want in the list out.. Sure would be an opening for some third party developer........:cool:

I'll put my two cents in again for a real add/change/delete report for systems also........

interop

Thats exactly what we need someones software to do for the Unidens. But I am sure you know more about why this isn't feasable than the rest of us do.

interop

I guess thats about all we can ask for. Anything else would probably be too complicated.

I'll put my two cents in again for a real add/change/delete report for systems also........

I would settle for something that tells me when data in my file was captured and compare it to when RR was last updated. I have build a lot of systems in my Uniden's and most have custom ALPHA tags or extensive custom GPS coordinates. Sometime I am real good about keeping up with watching RR for change to systems and implementing those changes manually, but sometimes life gets in the way and I end up so far behind on updates I never catch up. I am sure in rural america, this is not so important. But in a major metro area (for example, Atlanta) with multiple trunk systems to keep up with, anything to help automate this process would be nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.