UT and Linux w/WINE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liverdog

Rick:

I've recently been playing around with Ubuntu 7.10 (LINUX variant) and I love it. I installed WINE to run some Windows apps, UniTrunker among them, but I need a little help to get things moving along.

Since the UT executable is packaged as a .msi and not an .exe, I cannot natively install it using WINE. I was successful running UniScope and Tuner following a simple copy paste after unpackaging these executables, but I think Uniform has some .dll's somewhere that I'm missing, 'cause I get nada just trying to run the executable.

Can you offer any assistance/guidance?

Thanks,

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I used "msiexec UniTrunker-(etc).msi" at a command prompt in Ubuntu 7.04 and got royal hassles - seemingly related with unable to find certain libraries, etc. I may be willing to try it again once I reformat a different computer with 7.10 soon (after my work week, which ends Monday). If I do, I'll document the messages I get in detail.

For what it's worth, on that particular machine, TRUNKER 3.8.whatever-the-latest-one-is worked under wine, albeit with horrible display lag.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I don't believe Unitrunker is packaged with any DLLs that are mysteriously dumped into a Windows folder or anything. I think its WYSIWYG pretty much - whatever it dumped into rfmobile\Unitrunker on a Windows machine is all that is there. The MSI is just an easy distro package. I think I remember Rick commenting on it (perhaps as long as a few years ago) indicating that the MSI was just an easy way to package it but that there are no files deposited in anyplace other than the Unitrunker directory.

If you can 'unpackage' that MSI from within Wine, then you should have all the files that you need. Of course, past experience tells me that running certain time/timing critical serial apps in Wine is often a no-win situation, especially if those apps were from the DOS days or based on a lot of non-Win32 code. It may not be realistic to expect to get it to run under Wine.

Then again I haven't tried Wine out in at least 8 or 9 years either.

Uniform.exe is all you should need. The rest is figuring out the serial port issues in Wine and Unitrunker.

Mike

PS: I can see reference (when Uniform.exe is running on XP) to winmm.dll and wdmaud.drv (both Windows files in c:\windows\system32). And of course I also see some apparent hooks to some IP activity, specifically UDP 1155. So I'm not sure if one needs to take those into account in Wine. I am sure network connectivity/appropriate netwrok drivers are not a prerequisite for running it, but finding audio onboard may be (depending on how its config'd by default).

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
MSI files require Microsoft's installer library to be installed on the target machine. It is bundled with XP but must be installed for 2K and earlier Windows. The MSI kit probably would not be happy under Wine.

As Mike suggests ... grab the EXE from a previous Windows install.

The only reason I'm using MSI format is I'm too lazy to set up NSI (Nullsoft) - which would be self-contained.

Last edited:

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Unitrunker said:
As Mike suggests ... grab the EXE from a previous Windows install.

All the times I've messed with this, I've never thought of, or tried, that. Does it care about what directory it's in? I.e. if it was installed in c:\radio\unitrunker do we have to replicate same under wine?

SCPD

QRT
The program will use the current working folder - unless told otherwise in the CFG file.

Status
Not open for further replies.