Utah - May Meeting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Utah_Viper

Well we already are into May and have not thought out a meeting yet. The meeting I want to set up wont work this month, hopefully next (waiting for construction.)

I have noticed that we have some good active members south now in Utah county. I am thinking a meeting in the south end of Salt Lake valley or norther Utah County. If anyone has suggestions please throw them in. It's getting to be great weather outside so a outdoor location would be great.

Does anyone want to step up and take a topic for the month? or at least any ideas for discussion?

As always please post your preferred times, and date. We will work with everyone as we want as much participation as possible.

Sorry to all last month kinda flopped with the Frontrunner plan. We just did not get the details really in time. Lets all make up for it and have a great May meeting.

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
If it's held in Utah Co, I can xport three folks down there. Four if they are really cozy.
On a side note, the Thirty-First I will be at Ogden Airport to see The Aluminum Overcast, an original, WWII B-17 Flying Fortress. I'm hopeing to get a ride on it, but not sure yet.

qlajlu

Silent Key
gldavis said:
...the Thirty-First I will be at Ogden Airport to see The Aluminum Overcast, an original, WWII B-17 Flying Fortress. I'm hopeing [sic] to get a ride on it, but not sure yet.
Now that would be exhilarating! To actually touch a piece of history.

This video gives you a walk-through of this truly magnificent flying menace to all of our enemies, particularly Germany, during WWII. I had an uncle who was a tail-gunner on one which was shot down during that war. He did not survive.

This video shows you the view from the bombardier's perspective while in flight.

I really hope you get a chance to ride in that aircraft, Gary. Word of warning, though. If you do, I will be envious of you forever.

utahcomms

Maybe the next meeting should be out near the airport! (If you saw the recent article on KSL you might find the idea amusing)

I won't promise being able to make any in-person meetings, but I am working on getting some TG data for the IM Flash system in Utah County. There used to be a lot of interesting stuff going on, but now that construction is winding down I would not expect much except for the occasional Contamination Control or ERT traffic.

It gets fun if they ever evac the fab facility itself.

I had the chance in Oregon to get close to a B-17. They are amazing. When it flew in we could hear it for several minutes before we could see it, and it flew right over our house. We then visited it on the ground, but didn't get to fly.

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
utahcomms said:
Maybe the next meeting should be out near the airport! (If you saw the recent article on KSL you might find the idea amusing)

About once a month I'll park in the Economy Lot for a few hours to search for "new" signals. It is cheap, and has a clear view (RF wise) of the valley and moutain tops. And I've been able to add/update some of my lists.

I don't remember seeing/hearing the Airport article on KSL. Care to enlighten a bit?

qlajlu

Silent Key
gldavis said:
I don't remember seeing/hearing the Airport article on KSL. Care to enlighten a bit?
Yeah, after reading your post, utahcomms, I climbed all over KSL's Web site and could not find any story that would let me know what you had in mind when you made that statement. Of course, I have been accused of being blind in the past.

qlajlu

Silent Key
Yep, as I said, looks like it is time for new glasses. Of course, in my own defense that article is dated May 1st, which is quite a ways back.

I remember that area that was set aside for folks to park in and watch the planes as they came and went from when I was little kid. They even had a space set out on the roof of a terminal building at one time for people to sit and watch the comings and goings. 9/11 definitely changed a lot of things. We really lost something more than just lives that day.

Strange, isn't it, that 9/11 has become to mean something dark and ominous, and yet 9-1-1 is what we dial when we need emergency help. Ironic!

Status
Not open for further replies.