Utah Radio Scanning Group - Wiki/Website

Status
Not open for further replies.

mangowest

reband freq

am picking up traffic on 852.7000.cannot get it in sharp reception.skipping and hissing with all tranmissions have done frequency step adjust and frequency mode adjust.no improvement in signal reception.believe it to be a UCAN frequency very active.using Bearcat 9000xlt .any suggestions for signal improvement.

pmstewart

Premium Subscriber
I've visited the utahradio.org site and find it quite an amazing place for information. There is one large piece of information missing imho .....information about Weber County and Box Elder Counties.

I find it hard to believe there are no radio/scanner enthusiasts in these two counties other than myself.

The UCAN Trunk in Utah is one of the hardest radio systems to understand even for those of us who have been monitoring the airwaves for years.

What needs to be done to start up "regions" Weber and Box Elder on the site?

ryanisflyboy

Premium Subscriber
There are categories set up for Weber and Box Elder. There just aren't any pages in there. If you'd like to PM me, I can give you one-on-one guidance for setting up wiki pages.

Category:Weber County - UtahRadio
Category:Box Elder County - UtahRadio

The likelihood of anyone besides you creating new content for Weber and Box Elder county is pretty low. Here are a few ideas:

* Take pictures of agency vehicles and post them to that area. Here is an example:
Salt Lake City Fire - UtahRadio

* Create google earth maps of interesting transmitter and repeater locations.

* Post images of any radio related sites.

* Create basic "how-to" listening guides for the counties.

* Organize a "meet-up" with other listeners in the area.

Just a few ideas, there are many more. I hope you'll consider tackling one or two of them.

pmstewart

Premium Subscriber
Will consider your offer right after the first of next year when things calm down around my place.

I have scattered bits and pieces of information and there is very limited (up to date) information about
how Weber & Box Elder run their systems. I am trying to make sense of it all but it is a bit daunting!

The most recent scanners I purchased were pre 2002 Olympics when they were just launching this whole UCAN thing. I listened to the Pro-2066 in my car until rebanding and had no idea what was going on and there was no information on the internet to help. After rebanding all my scanners were useless but digging through a box in the storage room a few months ago I decided to revive all my scanners and give it one last shot to see if I can make sense of all this crap. So far all I have for my time is an empty bottle of pain reliever!!

I have an iSCAN 107 which I purchased about 18 months ago - this has just led to more confusion and headaches. Sure I can hear bits and pieces of many different conversations during the day. If I get up at 2 am I can follow individual conversations without loosing too much. Even with 7 scanners running in the room I can barely follow much of anything. The long explanation is just a way to say when I contribute I want to contribute accurate information not just junk!

Paul

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Right now we have the rebanding instructions for Win500 cataloged in our wiki here;

Object Oriented Scanner Software - The RadioReference Wiki

However this introduces a bit of fragmentation - it makes it harder to find this topic when you really would expect to find this in the Win500 User Guide.

Since I don't have that software, I'm wondering if someone could copy the instructions from the above article, and add screenshots from the most recent version of Win500? A pointer can then be substituted in the above article to go to the user guide.

I will take care of cleaning up the article we have here once this is done

TIA Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Oops - my bad. The instructions are already in the Win500 guide...never mind

mea culpa...Mike

m00se

I want to make an account for the wiki site. where is they guy i need to get in contact with for the code i need to enter to make a wiki account?

ryanisflyboy

Premium Subscriber
I have sent a PM to m00se. You only need an account on the wiki to make edits. So few people make edits, and so many spammers try to gain access, it seemed wise to make it difficult to get an account.

Highpockets

I have sent a PM to m00se. You only need an account on the wiki to make edits. So few people make edits, and so many spammers try to gain access, it seemed wise to make it difficult to get an account.

Thanks for getting back to m00se.

I would love to see more people from Utah get involved in the site, RadioReference is an excellent site for all interested in Radio/Scanning, but the Utah site could add more local info. Travel info, what's hot for monitoring in certain areas of the state, info on scanner laws, to name a few.

bbrasmussen

I'd also love to see more people add local information. I've tried to add as I have time, but there are so many other areas/facets to explore on the wiki.

m00se

Thanks to ryanisflyboy and Highpockets for the help. I've started to update the SLC fire section, as it has a lot of out of date information.

3MTA344

Yeah I hear you from Utah. If there were more people that lived in Utah that had the nich for this industry that would be great. I visit up in the Provo area sometimes at least once or twice a year. I have always asked my wife to move to Utah. If I lived there I would sniff out each and every trunk site in the state and run Trunk88 and identify what talkgroups belong to each site. That would be a fun project.

Trunking can be a tough subject to understand and wrap your mind around unless you study it and read and program the right scanner for trunking. I would use no scanner does not have the capacity of trunking analog or digital to follow conversations. You will lose your mind.

The_squealer

Feed Provider
Ok if any one knows who operates the Weber county feed? I really really want to contact him regarding his feed. I currently operate Wasatch county feed and need pointers. I am not familiar with the forums and don't know how to communicate with other content providers. ANY HELP FROM FELLOW CONTENT PROVIDERS WOULD BE GREAT! PM ME PLEASE.

radioguy99

A Dead Horse?

So I am going out on a limb here and taking a wild guess that the Utah Scanner Radio Club is dead? Doesn't look like there has been much activity since 2012. If so, maybe its time to revive it again and bring it back to life.

ryanisflyboy

Premium Subscriber
So I am going out on a limb here and taking a wild guess that the Utah Scanner Radio Club is dead? Doesn't look like there has been much activity since 2012. If so, maybe its time to revive it again and bring it back to life.

I think that's great. I got my ham radio license and have been doing stuff mostly with the ham community. Also, I've switched almost all my scanning radios to SDR rigs. I still host the UtahRadio.org website. If someone wants to do something different with it, I'm cool with that. The Win500 and Unitrunker guides are still very popular pages. It would be neat if someone could help maintain that documentation.... or we can move it to something more modern. Let me know.

-Ryan

radioman1044

Feed Provider
Dead as a door nail

Yep--- your sure right about being dead. I stream the Box elder county feed and I fingered out quickly I was all alone.

Good luck
Larry
N7ZDR
Northern Utah

Junior1970

Box Elder

"I stream the Box elder county feed and I fingered out quickly I was all alone."

There are a lot of holes in data for the sites in Box Elder. There are sites such as Lynn that no one has posted info on as well as sites all throughout that area not to mention talkgroups.

Any info you could share if you have it would be great since, if it wasn't for a few of us that check in here from time to time, it would be dormant here.

Status
Not open for further replies.