• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

UTV rides

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been wanting to take my side by side to Durhamtown in Union Point, Georgia about a two hour trip north of me but the closest Hotel is 30 miles away.
We camp on Forest Service land, so we can ride right out of camp. Makes it a bit easier over having to load up each night. We'll usually stay 4 or 5 nights, get in a few good long days of riding. Did a few 100 mile + days. Still, nice to get a hot shower and a real bed after a few days.

I had a Big Tex 35, single axel I used for a while.
At one point I was towing my Ranger on it, with a 2005 GMC Canyon, I-5 engine with a stick shift. Did OK. Tires were a bit over-inflated once, going up a grade on heavily grooved pavement, passing a slow truck. Started fishtailing on me. Was able to recover but got off the highway at the next exit and let air out of the tires. Made me realized I needed to get back into a full size truck and go with a dual axel trailer with brakes. Running an F-350 now with the Diesel motor. 20 foot flatbed with two Rangers on it, one mine, one my dad's, and my son's Ace 150 in the bed. Much easier towing, less white knuckling.
That's cool! How you like the Rangers? My local side by side dealer sales them all the time they claim..I went passed them today on the way home they have a beautiful custom Ranger two seater for sale brand new.

For my vehicle that I tow with is a 2016 Chevrolet Tahoe LT V8 and it pulls the trailer and the side by side really well with no issues. Only thing I am getting upgraded is the seatbelts to harnesses due to the stock seatbelts suck!

Last edited:
I've had the Ranger since 2010, no issues other than replacing the battery every few years. I've probably got close to 3000 miles on it now.
My dad has 2010 Rzr that's been pretty nice, and he's got a newer Ranger he runs sometimes, a bit smaller than mine, I think it's considered a "mid-size", but has the same 800 motor.
My brother has a Rzr also, but it doesn't get used as much as ours.
My brother in law has a 2006 or so Yamaha Rhino that's been OK, had issues with fuel pumps, been through 3 so far, although we got really good at tearing it down along the trail. For a carbureted 660cc motor it pulls really hard, and he can usually out accelerate me, but my Ranger is a lot heavier.

We bought my son a Polaris Ace 150 last year. He's had a blast with it. It stalled occasionally, especially when he'd blast through water with it (frequently). Finally got to the point it wouldn't start. It's in the shop right now getting a new stator/crankshaft position sensor, a few hundred bucks I'd rather not spend. But those run a Chinese engine.

We've got a guy we ride with who's got the 4 seater Rzr-S. It's a pretty nice machine. He runs it down in the desert quite a bit, so he's got it set up a bit different than ours. More sand oriented.

We've been pretty happy with the Polaris products, but when we bought them they were the big player. I kind of like some of the Can Am's, now. Seen a few of those on the trail and they seem to be really nice.

I think for us it mostly comes down to having two good Polaris dealers in the area. Good experiences with them kept us coming back. So, it's not so much being tied to the brand, but being happy with the local dealer.

The Chevy V8's really do well. My brother in law is running a 1/2 ton Chevy with the 5.3 engine and tows a large toy hauler with the Rhino in the back. He does OK, but he knows he really needs a 3/4 ton with a Diesel. Lots of mountain towing out here and it's getting pretty hard on his truck. Actually discovering in my F-350 that the exhaust brake is a really nice feature. Was able to run down some long steep grades with it and not have to touch the brakes.
My dad's running a 2016 Chevy also. He's got the 5.3 but running 3.08 axels, so he struggles a bit more. But he's got a smaller trailer. He ordered the truck and set it up more for fuel economy, which works really well when he's not towing, but he's limited to about 6600 pounds when towing. He's under that, but still, lots of steep grades out here in the Sierra Nevada mountains. Long uphill grades going east, sharp downhill grades on the other side. Keeps it interesting.

I though a lot about 4 or 5 point harnesses in mine, but never did it.

I like my Viking VI EPS SE 4X4 it has done it's job when I needed it to. It's been through lot of hard terrain such as hard packed Georgia red clay and dirt and rocks and mud as well. I used my Warn Pro Advantage 3500 with synthetic rope a month ago when I had pull out a Can Am Maverick from the deep mud not sure why he thought he could make it out.

I'm just waiting on getting a call back to go get my Viking from the local dealer after the seatbelt harness for the driver is installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.