V2.0.0.3 killed my 396

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwachs

Before I send this in for repair, perhaps there is something I am missing... I ran the firmware update on my 369 to V 2.0.0.3. When it gets to the end, I get a "Checksum Failed. Please try uploading at a lower baud rate." I've tried every baud rate and I get the same error.

When I try to turn on my scanner, it beeps twice and that is it. Nothing on the screen and it never comes to life. If I try to re-load the 1.20 firmware, it tells me "Firmware already updated" but I can never get the scanner to boot up and be useable.

Anything else I can try before sending it in??

Last edited:

K8TEK

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Don't enter 32826 for your ESN. Enter everything after that.

cwachs

K8TEK said:
Don't enter 32826 for your ESN. Enter everything after that.

I left those off the ESN. In fact, the website would not let me include them as part of the ESN. Uniden did give me access to the firmware once I entered the ESN, serial and pin. I also have the software key.

I've deleted my radio from the "My Scanners" site and re registered it to try again. Same failure. I can neither downgrade to 1.20 firmware nor can I successfully upgrade to 2.0 firmware. The radio won't turn on any more. The only action I can get out of the radio is putting it into programming mode.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
you can't go back down to 1.2 as far as I know.
double check the checksum value when u try to upload again
the checksum should be like 12e1 I'd similar.
note its alphanumeric so what looks like a zero might be a letter "O"

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
BC_VUP_v2.0.0.3.exe is the uploader program that loads the BCD396T_V2_00_07.scn firmware update. So as kg9qm points out the firmware is indeed 2.00.07.

That said, the checksum is a HEX value; hence, there are no "O's" in it, just numbers (0-9) or letters "a - f". As Paul (UPMan) has mentioned several times in the sticky threads devoted to this very issue, in every instance of a returned radio to Uniden for a failure on an firmware update, each was just updated using the software (loader) and appropriate firmware version (.scn file) and returned to the consumer. Uniden will not do something "magic" to make it work.

cwachs

kg9qm said:
2.0.0.3? Not 2.0.0.7 (that's what the Uniden site gave me Friday)? Typo? Firmware for the wrong radio?

What about trying this 'reset'? http://www.radioreference.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-29129.html

My mistake. Firmware 2.0.0.7 is correct. I can not do a factory reset as proposed in that thread. The radio will not turn on or do anything other than allow me to put it in programming mode ("L/O & 6" when plugging in). I can not reset it and nothing happens on the radio at all when I try to turn on (or reset) with either battery power, AC or both.

My Checksum comes back as "195" when I try to re-load the 1.20.13 firmware (after telling me the radio is already up to date). I've copied and pasted the ESN and Checksum into the Uniden website so I don't think there is a typo there.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
cwachs said:
...My Checksum comes back as "195" when I try to re-load the 1.20.13 firmware (after telling me the radio is already up to date). I've copied and pasted the ESN and Checksum into the Uniden website so I don't think there is a typo there.
What is the checksum you have? If it is "195", did you enter a leading "0" (i.e. "0195")?

cwachs

loumaag said:
What is the checksum you have? If it is "195", did you enter a leading "0" (i.e. "0195")?

I've tried both ways of entering it and I re-downloaded the firmware after changing it and have re-entered the software key (checked the box for major upgrade). Each way gives me the "Checksum Failed" error after it uploads the v2 firmware.

I'm also confused why the radio won't turn on at all. Should it not continue to work on v1 firmware until an upgrade to 2 is successful?

kg9qm

Real Serial port or one provided through a USB connection?

Is the serial port set to 7-bit data possibly?

cwachs

kg9qm said:
Real Serial port or one provided through a USB connection?

Is the serial port set to 7-bit data possibly?

USB cable from Uniden. My laptop does not have a 9-pin serial on it.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
cwachs said:
..I'm also confused why the radio won't turn on at all. Should it not continue to work on v1 firmware until an upgrade to 2 is successful?
No. Once the update process initiates you are committed to complete it. The only thing you can do is do the firmware update.

Just to be clear on the steps you are using, I wish you would actually (step by step) say what you do starting with running the BC_VUP_v2.0.0.3.exe program. You keep referring to the ESN and ESN checksum but you have not yet mentioned the 32 digit (plus hyphens) registration key that is generated on the site using the ESN & checksum from the radio.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
We've had one other instance of this, and it was traced to a thermal failure in a component (i.e. it only failed when hot).

Send me a private email (not PM) and I'll get you into the customer support system first thing tomorrow. Meanwhile, if you want to try a workaround (this is not a fix, but might allow the update to complete for the time being) try putting the scanner in a sealed baggie in your freezer for 20 minutes. Then, remove it and immediately apply the 2.00.07 update (including the 32-digit plus hyphens registration key).

cwachs

cwachs said:
USB cable from Uniden. My laptop does not have a 9-pin serial on it.

Well, seems to be the USB cable. I went to a friends house, borrowed his Win XP laptop with a 9-pin port on it, and ran the upgrade. It worked fine this time.

I had used the USB cable a few dozen times to program the radio and never had a problem. I used it to upgrade the firmware to the latest v1 series and it worked but the v2 upgrade would not work with USB. I'll chalk this up to USB annoyances...

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Ok. That is even better news. (Well, sorry the cable is bad, but that is much better news than a problem with the scanner itself.)

vortex360

UPMan said:
try putting the scanner in a sealed baggie in your freezer for 20 minutes. Then, remove it and immediately apply the 2.00.07 update (including the 32-digit plus hyphens registration key).

Afterwards do we put it in the oven at 350 for 30 minutes? ;)

garys

Premium Subscriber
That's a half baked idea if I ever heard one.

Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.