Vanderburgh County P25 Begins Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
New Harris P-25 phase 1 system.
I will say so far no users on the P-25 side, what they are doing is all users still on Edacs but system has a Harris gateway to P-25.

Simple terms EDACS in and P-25 out the 3 site simulcast system.

A couple of us have been testing scanners the last two weeks.
At first most any digital scanner was doing OK.
However we both feel something has changed on this new Harris P-25 phase 1 system.
All our Uniden models plus Whistler TRX-1 are missing traffic at times.
Sometimes the start of a dispatch other complete mixes dipatcher and mobiles.
Dreaded Simulcast issue and it being HARRIS.
Only radio that works and works well Unication G4 and G5.

Well no real surprise but had hoped only being a 3 site system we might not have this issue.

Sadly we do.

So are ALL the TG's from EDACS being translated to P25? I only seem to get EPD Dispatch and VCSO Dispatch. None of the Info, Car to CAR, or MP East, West, etc..

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
yes to tg.
somewhat confusing and I may not be the best to describe affiliation.

Just like the States Safet system for US to hear a TG we must have a radio affiliated with a tower on the system.

right now no users are using the new P-25 system.What is happening we have some people that tuned their radios to the P-25 system and they park their radio on ONE TG at a time.

So for now hit or miss we hear any trafiic on P25.

Hope I have that all right and not confused it all.
They have in place a HARRIS gateway bridge i call it.
Meaning edacs in and P-25 out but again for us now all are Edacs in and we must have someone on the P-25 system parked on a TG to hear that TG via P-25.
Two way gateway P-25 will go in and out Edacs. This is so they can migrate users over to P-25 .

So are ALL the TG's from EDACS being translated to P25? I only seem to get EPD Dispatch and VCSO Dispatch. None of the Info, Car to CAR, or MP East, West, etc..

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Pro96 is showing:

so far here on affiliation log.

So from your info I can assume that I or We won't hear any traffic on the P25 side if there is no radio affiliated with whatever TG is being used on EDACS. Also, they seem to only be using 2 Voice channels currently.

lviper

Premium Subscriber

No, the TG ID's are not translated over to the new system, only the transmissions. The TG ID numbers will be different on the new system.

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
right p25 tg are dif numbers than edacs. I meant to say or tried to say you will see the NEW p25 TG numbers if you monitor the p25 system.With a scanner or pro96 software.

that gateway takes edacs TG and sends out P25 TG out P25 system
[
QUOTE=lviper;2858377]No, the TG ID's are not translated over to the new system, only the transmissions. The TG ID numbers will be different on the new system.[/QUOTE]

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Its the same as Moto Smart X bridge system. You are using the EDACS side (The freqs still allocated anyway) and your transmissions are simulcast on the P25 side for those already transitioned and for testing... Reverse is also true. You use the P25 side, and its simulcast back on the EDACS for those still using it. This allows for a longer transition and more testing as you switch out the systems. Useful if you have NOT fully prepared to transition and do NOT have all your gear ready like you should... Wink wink
Though usually this is more common when going from EDACS to Motorola since its completely different gear at the core level, or going from LTR to P25... Or have an set of analog systems that are future transitions to an much larger P25 system.

Last edited by a moderator:

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
The only agency I think is on P-25 full time is Airport Maintenance.

Reason don't think they ever were on EDACS and now they are on P-25. TG 659 D ERA-MAINT Evansville Regional Airport Maintenance Public Works

this and I may be wrong is the ONLY user on Full time P-25(meaning no Edacs Gateway from P-25 to Edacs)as this user was never on Edacs before.

Pd seems to be on Gateway many times(meaning someone has a radio parked on PD DISP P-25 system).

Dispatcher on PD sound terrible thru Gateway no idea why, sure that clear up once they are on P-25.

Well March 5th the system will have been turned on 3 months.
Not sure how much longer it takes to get system all setup.

Any updates?

Last edited:

cryppie

The only agency I think is on P-25 full time is Airport Maintenance.

Reason don't think they ever were on EDACS and now they are on P-25. TG 659DERA-MAINTEvansville Regional Airport Maintenance Public Works

this and I may be wrong is the ONLY user on Full time P-25(meaning no Edacs Gateway from P-25 to Edacs)as this user was never on Edacs before.

Pd seems to be on Gateway many times(meaning someone has a radio parked on PD DISP P-25 system).

Dispatcher on PD sound terrible thru Gateway no idea why, sure that clear up once they are on P-25.

Well March 5th the system will have been turned on 3 months.
Not sure how much longer it takes to get system all setup.
Thank you very much for the update. I'm not looking forward to losing metadata on my feed so hoping they take a very long time to get off legacy edacs completely!

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
News Story

Evansville upgrade from EDACS to P-25.
I would say accurate story on upgrade.I hear about 90 days to completion.

NEWS STORY

nbturk

Hey Jeff, Congrats on the retirement. I stopped in N Fulton Ave the other day and found out.
I stopped in last fall for a scanner upgrade and you mentioned the Evv new system was in the works. Which scanner would you recommend for the new system?

Thanks.

Doug

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Hey Jeff, Congrats on the retirement. I stopped in N Fulton Ave the other day and found out.
I stopped in last fall for a scanner upgrade and you mentioned the Evv new system was in the works. Which scanner would you recommend for the new system?

Thanks.

Doug

The SDS 100

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber

VASCAR2

Vanderburgh County P25 TRS

I got near enough to Vanderburgh County tonight to test my Uniden BCD996XT scanner on the new Harris P25 system. The Vanderburgh County EDACS system was busy but I didn’t catch any traffic on the P25 system.

I did get the control channel on 856.5125 and system ID: 000Ah-1010. I didn’t get any patched traffic from EDACS to P25. I get better coverage in Southeast Illinois on the EDACS system than the new P25 control channel. I couldn’t tell if the simulcast system was having any affect on the range of the P25 system. Once they go live I should get a better idea on how much trouble the simulcast system creates.

jamesmike

I am using BCD996P2 scanner, I was receiving a petty good voice from the Vanderburgh County P25. But the last couple weeks I am not hearing anything from the Vanderburgh County P25.

Are they working on the system?

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
no it is ON.Traffic right now and all day.
Not sure ANY users are full time but as of late more and more are on.

Do you have all 8 freq programmed in?

Now I will say you and all will MISS some traffic cause it is Harris Simulcast.Well I say may miss SOME traffic.

You should be hearing stuff.

E=jamesmike;2927665]I am using BCD996P2 scanner, I was receiving a petty good voice from the Vanderburgh County P25. But the last couple weeks I am not hearing anything from the Vanderburgh County P25.

Are they working on the system?[/QUOTE]

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
I keep it simple there are atleast three of us with sds100.
I think all three of us agree we are at times missing some traffic.
Now this might be cause they are using EDACS and P-25.
Some users are on P-25 i think most are still edacs.

I say if you are scanning mutli systems like EVV and the states Safet system you wont notice much of an issue.
Its when you stay parked on one TG.

More to come

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Anyone using the SDS100 on the simulcast system? How's the reception?

I listen to the P25 system on a SDS100 while scanning EDACS on a 996P2 or a 536HP, if traffic is on both systems you might notice some things are missed. There are times when traffic is only on EDACS or only on P25. I would say with the latest Beta firmware you miss less traffic with the SDS 100 at least less than you miss on the 536HP. My feed has the P25 system using a 996XT.

As a side note I have been using GPS with the SDS100 and discovered the Sentinel database has incorrect coordinates for county groups. Had MILF check RR database and it is set up properly. It seems Sentinel has some import problem in that regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.