• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

NewsArt Vanishing local stations

w2xq

Mentor
Interesting piece. I've seen similar stories in decades past, focusing on stations in West Virginia and Tennessee and the central plains. An unfortunate decline, as there is interesting listening when in range of the smaller stations on the regional and local stations. In the Appalachians, the signals only persist in the valley. Cross a mountain, lose one station and find another one.

GB46

The local AM station in my own hometown -- WCTC in New Brunswick, NJ -- has changed only slightly since I moved away during the 1960s. It's now owned by a corporate group based in Florida, but still has local content, mostly talk. It also still runs a measly 1000 watts on 1450. That's the station where the news anchor Dave Marash got his start; I met him in 1964 when I appeared as a guest on his show (I had won some stupid contest). Ironically, I was extremely mike shy during the show, despite spending many hours in front of a mike in my ham station.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Here in NJ we are fortunate as there's a number of small stations still existing. Also am close enough to Philadelphia and get smaller broadcasters with local news, ethnic shows, local adverts, etc. When on the road am continuously tuning around the AM band for stations. Distracted driving in a way hi hi.