Vanity call sign wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcopter1

Premium Subscriber
I've been looking at the FCC website, but can't find an answer to my question, from the date you submit a request to change your call sign to a vanity one, how long does it take to get a reply? Is this something the FCC does periodically or on a case by case basis?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gcopter1

Premium Subscriber
Did a check, can't remember which site, and it said that the particular call sign I'm looking for is available and no one is claiming it. Hopefully it will be quick, as far as things get done in a bureaucracy goes...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KD8DVR

I've heard it's 18 days. I got mine when the FCC was moving their database and it took longer.
There is a mandatory 18 day wait. That way, claims to the call sent by mail have a chance to get the call also. After that, the first one gets it, unless a former call holder, relative, etc applied for it.

AntiSquid disclaimer: All information provided is personal opinion only and may or may not resemble actual fact.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
Mine also took exactly 18 days. There are several stages in the process like several days for your payment to clear - no matter what the payment method. There are also checks to see that you don't have any legal impediments to licensing. It's a government agency and they will follow their protocols. I kept checking on line to follow the process. On the 18th day, just after midnight, my new call appeared.

wrath

You guys think waiting for a vanity call takes awhile, when I passed my exam it took 2 1/2 Months before our tickets arrived in the mail box and we could actually get on the air as a legal amateur, that was just torture.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
Mine also took exactly 18 days. There are several stages in the process like several days for your payment to clear - no matter what the payment method. There are also checks to see that you don't have any legal impediments to licensing. It's a government agency and they will follow their protocols. I kept checking on line to follow the process. On the 18th day, just after midnight, my new call appeared.

FCC doesn't charge for vanity calls anymore, so that isn't the issue. The FCC does look for abusers of the vanity system, so that could be another hurdle that they do in the Red Light Review process.

K2JK

Premium Subscriber
The FCC processing time is 18 days. An application submitted on the weekend is treated as if it was submitted on Monday.

AE7BF

I just got mine this last Wednesday, took about twenty days (fcc rcvd 9/21 appd 10/12) and like @seawolfxix said above AE7Q's site does a great job, I only discovered it on 10/11.

Brandon
N6WBF

SCPD

QRT
Are ya gettin a vanity license plate too?It just says "hi.,Im a ham I have radios".
I would vote against that for obvious reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.