Vanity sign

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, the only geographical restrictions are AL, KL, NL, WL, AH, KH, NH, WH, KP, NP and WP calls

The disadvantage to having an out of area call is trying to work DX. DX stations will often call by callsign areas. If you call, using your example, with the 3's his beam will be off you, if you call with the 6's you may be ignored, so you'd have to call as KR3LIM/6 which is cumbersome.

Last edited:
Your license class is also a factor. To receive a 2×2 or 1×2, you need to hold an Amateur Extra.
As a Tech or General you may receive a 1×3, or 2×3 as you currently have.

I like Hamdata for looking up, and seeing newly issued calls. Also call availability.

Hamdata Callsign Server

An Advanced class can get a 2x2 as long as it doesn't start with "A"

K7MEM

Your license class is also a factor. To receive a 2×2 or 1×2, you need to hold an Amateur Extra.
As a Tech or General you may receive a 1×3, or 2×3 as you currently have.

You should also mention that a Amateur Extra can choose from any of the available formats, not just 2x2, 1x2, and 2x1. I picked my call sign in 1999, before they started jerking around the license classes and Morse code requirements. At the time there were gobs of 2x2, 1x2, and 2x1 call signs available, but I didn't like any of them. So I chose the 1x3 that I have. To get a 1x2 or 2x1 these days, is like winning the lottery.

When choosing a new call sign. one of the things that you might think about is, how easy is the call sign to articulate. If you pick a tongue twister, you might have lots of problems with other hams getting your call wrong. This could be problematic in contests or if your trying for awards. If you intend to use CW, a call sign that is short and easy to send is the best. For example, with my call sign, no one has ever gotten my call sign wrong, on either voice or CW. However, other call signs have been mistaken for mine. Every so often I get a QSL that is intended for W7MEM.

Just FYI, there is no longer a charge for vanity call signs.

Martin - K7MEM

Delivers1234

You should also mention that a Amateur Extra can choose from any of the available formats, not just 2x2, 1x2, and 2x1. I picked my call sign in 1999, before they started jerking around the license classes and Morse code requirements. At the time there were gobs of 2x2, 1x2, and 2x1 call signs available, but I didn't like any of them. So I chose the 1x3 that I have. To get a 1x2 or 2x1 these days, is like winning the lottery.

When choosing a new call sign. one of the things that you might think about is, how easy is the call sign to articulate. If you pick a tongue twister, you might have lots of problems with other hams getting your call wrong. This could be problematic in contests or if your trying for awards. If you intend to use CW, a call sign that is short and easy to send is the best. For example, with my call sign, no one has ever gotten my call sign wrong, on either voice or CW. However, other call signs have been mistaken for mine. Every so often I get a QSL that is intended for W7MEM.

Just FYI, there is no longer a charge for vanity call signs.

Martin - K7MEM

Thank you all. I went to the site and tried my fcn number. I had to register and request a password.

I'm a tech.

Sporrt

Martin - K7MEM

No reason to mention any more than I already did.

It goes without saying.

K7MEM

Delivers1234 said:
Thank you all. I went to the site and tried my fcn number. I had to register and request a password.

I'm a tech.

I assume you are talking about the Hamdata.com web site. Your FCN number is only useful on the FCC web site, not that site.

Another site where you can look up available call signs is RadioQTH Amateur Radio Vanity License Search. I don't believe that you need a login at the RadioQTH web site. While you are looking, you might want to check the number of 1x3 call signs with a "6", which, as "CarolinasFeedNet mentioned, is the California call sign district. There are lot of good ones readily available

Yes, we already know you have a Technician license. You can look up any ones call sign. You might want to join QRZ.com and/or eHam.net. Joining is free and it will give you access to lots ham radio related information. Both of those sites have upgrading information and sample tests, if you planning on going to General or Extra.

Martin - K7MEM

Status
Not open for further replies.