• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Vector pictures for newspapers

Golay

Well, I just got off the phone with our local weekly. I was wanting to put pictures of last years Field Day in the paper to go along with a article about this year's Field Day. The pictures are .jpg files. They don't want them. They can't do nothing with them. They say they need to be vector files. I asked what vector files are, and can I convert my jpg's to vector.

Well, the gist of the tone of the person I was talking to was along the lines of "Hey Big Dummy, if you have to ask that, you're not much of a photographer" (and he was probably right).

So a few questions:

1. What is a vector file? I've never heard this term before, but I'm just a recreational photographer.
2. Can I convert from jpg to vector?
3. I know just enough about photography, my camera can shoot raw. (never quite knew what that meant, but everyone says it's the best).
So if I shoot this year's Field Day "raw", is it the same as a vector file?
4. Is it easier to convert from raw to vector, than it is from jpg to vector?

I do have Lightroom 4.something. I've never done anything with it other than look at pictures.
If doing these conversions in that program will work, I will learn how to do it.

Thanks for the help.

Hit_Factor

Premium Subscriber
Illustrator has a trace function that converts bitmap to vector files.

Vector files make up the art using vectors. As you might recall vectors have a direction and magnitude (length).

Jpg, tiff, png, etc. Are all raster images, each pixel has an attribute defining it's color.

There are different color bit depths like 8 bit has a max of 256 colors, 32 bit has millions of colors.

Somebody misunderstood what the other was saying. News papers print raster images all the time. Those are the photos on page 1.

It's possible you spoke to a receptionist, ask to speak to someone in prepress.

73, K8HIT
Icom: IC-7300, IC-PW1, ID-5100A, ID-51A Plus 2, IC-R30, Hytera PD782G, Kenwood TH-D74, Uniden SDS100, DVMega, SDRplay RSPduo

Hit_Factor

Premium Subscriber
I realized there were more questions.

You are shooting field day not national geography, you don't need raw for that. Learn how to use raw at your own pace. JPG can look great or horrible, it what you do to it, or allow to be done to it that trashes quality.

It doesn't matter which raster (bitmap) format you are using. It doesn't convert to vector easily or acceptable.

Fonts are a vector style format, can you imagine trying to use fonts to represent a photograph?

73, K8HIT
Icom: IC-7300, IC-PW1, ID-5100A, ID-51A Plus 2, IC-R30, Hytera PD782G, Kenwood TH-D74, Uniden SDS100, DVMega, SDRplay RSPduo

bharvey2

When my sons were younger and participating in sports, I did a lot of photography for their teams and was asked on a number of occasions to submit photos to local newspapers. I submitted high resolution *.jpg files and never had any trouble. Note that a *.jpg file is a raster based image. There are some common vector based image types, those being *.EPS, *.SVG and even *.PDF. That being said, I don't know of any cameras that generate them. However, there are programs that can convert raster to vector. Adobe Photoshop is one of them. It's been a while since I've used it but GIMP may be another.

Hit_Factor

Premium Subscriber
Sorry, but photoshop cannot convert bitmap/raster to vector.

Both pdf and eps can have raster and/or vector data in them.

High resolution is a vague term nowadays, capabilities of cameras vary so much. A rule of thumb is 300 dots per inch. Newspaper quality is much lower, 200 dpi or ppi would work.

73, K8HIT

bharvey2

Sorry, but photoshop cannot convert bitmap/raster to vector.

Both pdf and eps can have raster and/or vector data in them.

High resolution is a vague term nowadays, capabilities of cameras vary so much. A rule of thumb is 300 dots per inch. Newspaper quality is much lower, 200 dpi or ppi would work.

73, K8HIT

On closer inspection, I see you are correct. While I knew both of the file types can contain vector info, my conversion to either was never achieve that goal. I checked more closely during a file conversion and while it will convert a *jpg to a *.eps file, the ability to include vector information is greyed out, so obviously it isn't included. I have to say I'm still a bit confused as to why a newspaper would demand such a file type.

With regard to resolution, yes I agree it is a vague term. 300dpi has historically been the starting point for a "photo quality" print. but it isn't always the case.

N4DJC

Premium Subscriber
When I submitted digital photos to newspapers I was usually asked that was the files not be too large and if I planned on running the photo for a column that it be in the correct dimensions.