Ventura County

Status
Not open for further replies.

DPD1

Didn't they already decide to make some changes a couple years back?

Dave
www.DPDProductions.com
Antennas & Accessories for the RF Professional & Radio Hobbyist

spock00

Any updates on this?
Seems that they're going to make all the Sheriff & county fire freqs on repeaters and no longer high power simplex. Anyone have any input on this? If they were smart they'd switch to UHF for interoperability with adjacent counties/cities (counties of LA, Santa Barbara, and Kern and Simi Valley City).

Eng74

Any updates on this?
Seems that they're going to make all the Sheriff & county fire freqs on repeaters and no longer high power simplex. Anyone have any input on this? If they were smart they'd switch to UHF for interoperability with adjacent counties/cities (counties of LA, Santa Barbara, and Kern and Simi Valley City).

KCFD and LACoFD are on VHF not UHF. I know with Kern and L.A. County Fire we have their channels in ours and ours in theirs.

MCIAD

Actually, with the exception of Simi Valley P.D., all Ventura County law agencies are VHF.

As far as an update: Harris Communications is working on installing all the microwave backbone sites, and should be done by Summer. Motorola is already working on the system engineering, so as soon as the backbone is completed, they will begin the installation of all the hardware.

It will still be upwards to a year (or more) before the new system will go online.

spock00

Actually, with the exception of Simi Valley P.D., all Ventura County law agencies are VHF.

As far as an update: Harris Communications is working on installing all the microwave backbone sites, and should be done by Summer. Motorola is already working on the system engineering, so as soon as the backbone is completed, they will begin the installation of all the hardware.

It will still be upwards to a year (or more) before the new system will go online.

I know that but I was referring to "interoperability with adjacent counties/cities (counties of LA, Santa Barbara, and Kern and Simi Valley City)" from my original comment. VHF doesn't seem to be the "wave of the future" and seems to be slowly replaced especially in California. Look at how many areas have gone from VHF repeater systems to UHF, or 800 MHz including P25 & trunking. As far as the update: What does this mean as far as changes in frequencies, channel plans, coverage from what the county has been using? Thanks

Last edited:

MCIAD

Sorry - I tend to view things from the Fire side of the desk - that is what I do for a living.

As far as "interoperability" with surrounding Counties/Agencies, we are all part of the Los Angeles County Regional Tactical Communications System, which has VHF/UHF/800MHz components. It works much better for the Law side than ours, but it does work, allowing different Agencies, with different frequency bands, to work together through a common radio system. We had a few fires this last season where it got used. I know Simi PD (prior to going UHF) and VCSD use it for pursuits that go East of the border.

The system wil remain analog, and I am pretty sure that will be on both sides of the desk, Law and Fire. For the VCFD, it will be simulcast on the dispatch channel, and repeated/simulcast on all the 7 or 8 command channels (for different geographical areas around the County). Last I heard, for the VCSD, it will be repeated simulcast for the 3 primary dispatch areas, East County, West County, and North County (currently there, but not used).

I don't have the final channel load, as it has changed a little since the original RFP went out. I will up date the board and submit it for the database once I get the final version. In any case, nothing will change for at least a year.

Sorry - I tend to view things from the Fire side of the desk - that is what I do for a living.

As far as "interoperability" with surrounding Counties/Agencies, we are all part of the Los Angeles County Regional Tactical Communications System, which has VHF/UHF/800MHz components. It works much better for the Law side than ours, but it does work, allowing different Agencies, with different frequency bands, to work together through a common radio system. We had a few fires this last season where it got used. I know Simi PD (prior to going UHF) and VCSD use it for pursuits that go East of the border.

The system wil remain analog, and I am pretty sure that will be on both sides of the desk, Law and Fire. For the VCFD, it will be simulcast on the dispatch channel, and repeated/simulcast on all the 7 or 8 command channels (for different geographical areas around the County). Last I heard, for the VCSD, it will be repeated simulcast for the 3 primary dispatch areas, East County, West County, and North County (currently there, but not used).

I don't have the final channel load, as it has changed a little since the original RFP went out. I will up date the board and submit it for the database once I get the final version. In any case, nothing will change for at least a year.

Are you guys going to narrowband the system?

415dispatcher

Premium Subscriber
MCIAD---I think there will be more interoperability because the vhf and uhf (simi) radios will hardline linked at the repeater sites...since i think you guys will be using the mt mccoy site, right? That means patching will be much easier and more reliable.

MCIAD

We have interoperability with SVPD now, in that they still have their VHF primary channel within their system, as do we. Whenever interoperability is called for, SVPD can patch their UHF to their VHF and then we can talk to their units. SVPD dispatch monitors the VHF channel, so our units can, and do, call them up and request the patch if the Captain feels it is needed. It actually works very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.