• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Vertex VX-6000 Strange Problem Need Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

wqsg243

I am having a couple strange problems with the VX-6000 UHF 100w radio in my vehicle and I am stumped. Hoping someone can help.

If the vehicle is turned off and I transmit with the radio, it shuts off, then powers right back up. If I start the vehicle and it's idling, the radio will also power down and come right back on. If I increase the RPM's of the vehicle and transmit, the radio will stay powered on.

So my first thought was - the radio isn't getting enough voltage. I'm running 2 10ga wires for power directly to the battery and 2 10ga wires for ground to the chassis. Checked all my connections. Everything was tight and clean. Load tested the battery and it shows "ok" (truck starts fine every time). I'm stumped.

Another strange issue I noticed, and I'm not sure if its an issue or not. If the radio is powered up, and I unscrew and disconnect the antenna from the radio, the radio powers down. Is this some sort of grounding problem?

Any help would be appreciated.

wqsg243

Problem Solved!

It was a grounding issue. The ground I was using apparently wasn’t good enough. Sanded some paint off under the rear seat and made a new grounding point. Radio works great now. Thanks Bill.

MBill

Premium Subscriber
Good troubleshooting. I have run into this issue at times. Always turned out to be that the radio was
not getting enough amps. Either power source couldn't provide proper amps, or bad connector or
connection point for ground or positive lead.
Even seen where radio will transmit OK on one or more channels, but power off and on on a another
single channel when transmitting.

lmrtek

That tells me you had all that current running through the coax and rg58 can't handle much current.
I would do a swr check first thing
I've seen rg58 melted under similar circumstances with lower power radios.
That's why i never liked having fuses on the negative radio lead.
If the fuse blows, radio current is drawn through the coax and it can easily heat up and melt.

Status
Not open for further replies.