Very New User needs to know what type of scanner to get

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmziegler

My 83 year old Mother really misses listening to the police scanner chatter when she lived in her small NY town. Fortunately I came across your site and found out that in the Michigan city she lives in now she will need one that works with (system type) EDACS standard and (system voice) ProVoice and Analog. I'd like to surprise her with an inexpensive basic no frills scanner. Will analog work? Or do I need something more? I read the article called Interpreting Database Trunking Entries and I am still not sure what I am looking for. I searched Amazon scanners and more confused than before. I'll do the programming and keep it simple for her. Thanks. Jo.

N8IAA

My 83 year old Mother really misses listening to the police scanner chatter when she lived in her small NY town. Fortunately I came across your site and found out that in the Michigan city she lives in now she will need one that works with (system type) EDACS standard and (system voice) ProVoice and Analog. I'd like to surprise her with an inexpensive basic no frills scanner. Will analog work? Or do I need something more? I read the article called Interpreting Database Trunking Entries and I am still not sure what I am looking for. I searched Amazon scanners and more confused than before. I'll do the programming and keep it simple for her. Thanks. Jo.

Well, Jo, can't refer a scanner without knowing what city/county, because Provoice can be encryted or in the open. Only one scanner can decode that mode, and it is the Uniden 436/536. They run in the $400 range, and the update to ProVoice is around $70.
HTH,
Larry

gonefishn1

You should look at the Uniden Home Patrol-2 and the Uniden BCD536HP. These Uniden radios come with the SD card already loaded with the Frequency data base and you just enter your ZIP from the front panel and its up and running. Less than 5 minutes from the time you open the box you can be scanning.

jmziegler

She lives in City of Lansing which is in Ingham County in Michigan. She would be happy with listening to Lansing Police as well as East Lansing Police. She borders both cities.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
You should look at the Uniden Home Patrol-2 and the Uniden BCD536HP. These Uniden radios come with the SD card already loaded with the Frequency data base and you just enter your ZIP from the front panel and its up and running. Less than 5 minutes from the time you open the box you can be scanning.
The Home Patrol-2 can not decode the ProVoice.

RugerSmith

No need for Provoice in the Lansing area. The State Police and Ingham county Sheriff are on P25, phase 1. A Uniden Home Patrol 2 would do nicely for your needs. Check out You Tube for a nice demo. I've been told and its true this is the easiest to program.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
I'd like to surprise her with an inexpensive basic no frills scanner.

You can spend around $100 on a Uniden BC125AT. It is a basic, no frills scanner. But with it, your loved one can listen to : taxi cabs, amateur radio, CB radio, walkie talkies, air planes, railroad, businesses, baby monitors, public utilities, military aviation, and any police that is not digital or trunked !! any fire/ems that is not digital or trunkedl!! But if grandma must listen to the local police, then yes a digital scanner is needed.

jmziegler

Thank you all for the info. I was hoping the Uniden BC125AT or the more expensive BCT15X would work since the database for Ingham County Public Safety reads (system type) EDACS standard and (system voice) ProVoice and Analog. BCT15X looks like it is supposed to support EDACS standard. The Home Patrol 2, besides being too pricey, is probably overkill.

N8IAA

Thank you all for the info. I was hoping the Uniden BC125AT or the more expensive BCT15X would work since the database for Ingham County Public Safety reads (system type) EDACS standard and (system voice) ProVoice and Analog. BCT15X looks like it is supposed to support EDACS standard. The Home Patrol 2, besides being too pricey, is probably overkill.

Jo, the 15X will work great on the Lansing EDACS system. You will just not be able to monitor the 'E' mode. This means it is encrypted. Anything with an 'A' you will be able to hear. The MI state system has the EDACS system patched to it. I would ask a question about it in the Michigan state forum further down the forums page.
HTH,
Larry

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Jo, the 15X will work great on the Lansing EDACS system. You will just not be able to monitor the 'E' mode. This means it is encrypted. Anything with an 'A' you will be able to hear. The MI state system has the EDACS system patched to it. I would ask a question about it in the Michigan state forum further down the forums page.
HTH,
Larry

The proper advice would be to have him "Report" the post and ask to have it moved as opposed to telling him to cross-post.

Continue discussion here...

http://forums.radioreference.com/mi...nsing-east-lansing-listeners.html#post2670965

Status
Not open for further replies.