Very Newb Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdiphoto

Live in Winnebago County, Illinois. Illinois using the Starcomm 25 system (?) I'm a photographer being asked to respond to fire, and possibly soon, police calls for publicity photos. I have a 20+ year old Bearcat Scanner, gets fire calls now, but poorly. Want better reception, and the ability to receive police should I get the go ahead on that.

So I purchased a BCD396XT from Amazon. I thought I read somewhere that it's good for the Illinois Starcomm 25 (same as P25?) system. I just want to be sure. below are the features listed from Uniden's website. More there than I'll probably ever need, but I don't care, as long as I get the calls I need to hear.

Now I just read something on another post here that suggests maybe I should cancel this and order the BCD325P2??? This is the FIRST I've heard of that. Any help at all would be GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Thank you so much!

The BCD396XT comes equipped with Uniden exclusive features like Advanced Dynamic Memory System, Close Call RF Capture Technology, and GPS compatibility.

TrunkTracker IV (Motorola APCO 25 Digital, Motorola, EDACS, LTR) - Lets you monitor all of the major types of communications systems used by public safety, local government, amateur radio operators, and more.
25000 Dynamically Allocated Channels - Room for all your local systems and more.
Close Call® RF Capture Technology - Instantly tunes to signals from nearby transmitters
Location-Based Scanning - Connect an optional GPS for automatic channel selection.
Continuous Band Coverage - 25MHz to 1.3GHz Excluding UHF TV and Cellular
Alpha Tagging
100 Quick Key System Access
Band Scope - Graphically finds radio activity
Compact Size
Audio AGC
Automatic Digital Threshold Adjustment
Temporary Lockout - Lets you temporarily lockout noisy channels.
Search with Scan
NAC Decoding - for conventional P25 channels
DCS/CTCSS Rapid Decode - Instantly Detects and Displays the Subaudible Tone So You Can Quickly Determine the System Settings.
S.A.M.E. Weather Alert - Specific Area Message Encoding - During a NOAA Weather or Emergency Alert, a code for your specific location will alert you to severe conditions in your immediate area.
Fire Tone-Out
Multi-Colored Display Backlight
Public Safety Scanner
System / Channel Number Tagging - provides rapid access to a specific system or channel
Compatible with BC-RH96 Remote Head
Individual Channel Volume Offset
Priority ID Scan on trunked systems

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
If you are referring to the STARCOM21 system (don't see any STARCOM25 system in the DB) the database states that some TGs are using Phase II and the BCD396XT does not decode Phase II.

You may need the BCD325P2 in the future but the 396XT should work for now unless you want to hear one of the agencies which are using Phase II. (See the page linked below).

See the notes at the top of the system page linked below:

STARCOM21 Statewide Illinois P25

Also note the "Mode" column on the left. Any "T" Mode is using Phase II. Any Mode listed as "E" is encrypted and can not be decoded on any scanner.

Also I suggest any further inquiries be directed to the Illinois state forum where other's are monitoring this system and can provide better information.

Last edited:

tdiphoto

Yes sorry. Starcom 21. Too many new numbers in my head. I thought I'd heard of others in my city using the 396xt, but for only $25 more I had decided just to change out the order to the P2.

Thank you so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.