• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

VHF antenna for G5?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
Hello,
My G5 seems to be quite sensitive on VHF frequencies with just the stubby stock antenna. I wanted to see what it could do with a proper VHF whip attached, so I used an SMA female-female adapter to connect a male SMA 18" whip to the radio. The RF connection with the whip was good, as I get about 1 bar on my local 700 MHz P25 system with no antenna, but after attaching the whip the system went right back up to 4 bars. Oddly though, there was no apparent change on my VHF channels with the whip. The signal strength on VHF signals was virtually no different with the whip vs. the stock stubby. In fact, the VHF signal strength remains the same without any antenna at all. So it seems the radio must be using an internal antenna for VHF. But I see there is an accessory charger available that allows connection of an external BNC antenna. Can anyone confirm if that charger with its antenna affects VHF signals? How is the RF fed into the radio? I'm guessing one or two of the ten pin on the bottom? Has anyone connected an external antenna for VHF using the pin(s) instead of the accessory charger?

Thanks for the help!

Gordon

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
I believe it was confirmed that the VHF (or UHF, for that model) uses an internal antenna.
I remember someone else asking about the charger antenna too, but I don't recall if there was an answer.

cpetraglia

And that's what is stopping my purchase of a G5. It makes no sense to have a VHF internal antenna when that requires the longest antenna of all three offered bands. I can verify the Base/Charger antenna jack works fine for my G4. You would need a confirmation from Unication that it would work for VHF on a G5. My guess is NO. There would have to be a switch and we know there are two dedicated receivers in the G5.

phirephoto

Premium Subscriber
And that's what is stopping my purchase of a G5. It makes no sense to have a VHF internal antenna when that requires the longest antenna of all three offered bands. I can verify the Base/Charger antenna jack works fine for my G4. You would need a confirmation from Unication that it would work for VHF on a G5. My guess is NO. There would have to be a switch and we know there are two dedicated receivers in the G5.

They've confirmed it doesn't work.

But I've found reception on the G5 on VHF to be awesome.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
It makes no sense to have a VHF internal antenna when that requires the longest antenna of all three offered bands.
It's always been internal on Minitor pagers, even on low band. (yes, I know there was a charger with antenna but I'm talking about the plain pager).
Remember, this is a pager first and VHF paging is often designed with many transmitters and/or higher ERP to get in building on hip coverage.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Correct...external is 7/800, internal is a loop antenna either on VHF or UHF depending on the model. I will say that I had no issues picking up a countywide UHF trunked system with the internal loop with zero issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the replies everyone. My Google-foo failed me on this antenna question, as I see now it was answered on page 33 of the 42 page G4/G5 thread. Guess I should have finished reading that thread first, there is a lot of good info in there!

Vermonster

No external VFH a deal killer

Just adding my voice that at least in northern NH (and to a lesser extent over the border on the Maine MSCOMMNET system) the lack of an external VHF antenna is problematic.

On the NH state P25 system handheld Moto radios are reliable in many--but not all--areas, but go deaf once inside vehicle. While I have not had a chance to test a G5, I would expect the same issue.

A drop in cradle in the truck with external VHF antenna would be helpful, especially for seasonal workers and others who use vehicles without permanently mounted radios.

Status
Not open for further replies.