SDS100/SDS200: VHF Low Antenna for SDS100

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbenn

Premium Subscriber
I'm looking for an antenna that gives me better reception on VHF low (150-159) and also provides a proper fit for the SDS100 SMA connector.

Anyone have any recommendations?

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Diamond SRH77CA

I had to do a little Dremel work to make it fit, but it wasn't that hard.
Just use a sanding wheel and grind a 3.5cm-4cm collar on the bottom that will just fit into the antenna recess on the SDSD100.
Grind a little, check it, grind a little more.
Go slow, you don't want to grind off too much.

I then used some alumi-black to spiff it up a bit.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I'm looking for an antenna that gives me better reception on VHF low (150-159) and also provides a proper fit for the SDS100 SMA connector.

Anyone have any recommendations?

150-159 is VHF high btw. I'm curious - how far away is the transmit site you are trying to receive, and / or are you trying to monitor simplex mobiles or handhelds? I ask because VHF high reception for me is acceptable, except for marine band portables which are typically 1W. Disclaimer is the VHF I listen to is typically half duplex repeated systems (and the analog audio is scratchy.)

rbenn

Premium Subscriber
I'm trying to improve my reception on the VA STARS system. I'm within range of about 5 or 6 sites, but none real solid. By changing from the stock antenna to a RH77CA BNC w/adapter, I can improve from about -100db to about -90db, which gives me some reception, but choppy.

I assume there's some loss from the BNC > SMA adapter, so trying to find a direct fit.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
The BNC adapter likely has negligible loss. In fact, it will provide a more solid mechanical connection to the top of the radio especially with a longer and less flexible antenna like the RH77CA. Perhaps it is time to consider an outside antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.