VHF Marine Trasmits Wide or Narrow FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

mags71

Hi I know its not quite an Amateur topic, But can any one tell for is VHF Marine transmitted on Narrow or Wide , I know the channel spacing is wide, but that does not tell me what it is transmitted on.

If you set a radio to wide you pick up the marine with a tiny bit better signal, but lower audio volume.

So that does not seem to tell me exactly either.

please help.
Thank you.

N

N_Jay

Standard Narrow-band FM, 5 kHz Deviation and 25 kHz channels.
This is often called "wide" when compared to the newer narrow-band specification of 12.5 kHz channels.

It is not ":Wide-band FM" like FM broadcast radio.

mags71

So if using a PX888 on marine band what should you program it for wide or narrow, I have had on air tests & receiving is louder on narrow , but people say my transmissions are louder on Wide?

Mags71

ecps92

Here is a pretty good document, which is based on the USA Federal Communications Commission. Since your in Australia you should contact your Local authorities or a Local Radio Shop who would be Authorized to program and Tune the radio based on your Laws and wether the Px888 is legal on VHF Marine channels.

So if using a PX888 on marine band what should you program it for wide or narrow, I have had on air tests & receiving is louder on narrow , but people say my transmissions are louder on Wide?

Mags71

N

N_Jay

Mags71

1) IS a PX888 legal on Marine frequencies in Australia?
2) Wide on that radio. (5 kHz deviation)

mags71

Here is an Answer from ACMA.

The emission designator (an indicator of the transmitter’s occupied bandwidth) for marine VHF channels in Australia is 16K0F3E – this equates to a 25kHz channel, commonly referred to as wide band FM. Narrow band FM channels have the emission designator 10K1F3E this equates to a 12.5 kHz channel, commonly referred to as narrow band FM. So for use in Australia you should set the transceiver to wide band FM.

Regards

Regulatory and Compliance Branch

Standards Section

Australian Communications & Media Authority

Status
Not open for further replies.